Barney Wilen Qtet with Tete Montoliu, Grenoble’88

EKE BBB

Forthcoming release (Nov 27): 

Barney Wilen Quartet feat. Tete Montoliu – Grenoble ’88 (Limited 180 Gram Gatefold LP Edition)

Recorded live at the Grenoble Jazz Festival, February 12, 1988 - Previously unissued

5990538_cover-1.jpg

Barney Wilen: tenor and soprano sax
Tete Montoliu: piano
Riccardo del Fra: bass
Aaron Scott: drums

SIDE A:
1. L’ÂME DES POÈTES 9:49
(Charles Trénet) [Wilen-Del Fra duet]
2. ’ROUND MIDNIGHT 8:46
(Thelonious Monk)
3. SUMMERTIME 8:34
(George & Ira Gershwin – DuBose Heyward)

SIDE B:
1. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE 8:23
(Jerome Kern – Oscar Hammerstein II)
2. LA VALSE DES LILAS 5:47
(Michel Legrand – Eddy Marnay-Eddie Barclay)
3. MEDLEY: SOUS LE CIEL DE PARIS / AUTUMN LEAVES (LES FEUILLES MORTES)
(Jean Dréjac – Hubert Giraud) / (Jacques Prévert-Joseph Kosma-Johnny Mercer) 12:57

Edited by EKE BBB

22 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Forthcoming release (Nov 27): 

Barney Wilen Quartet feat. Tete Montoliu – Grenoble ’88 (Limited 180 Gram Gatefold LP Edition)

Recorded live at the Grenoble Jazz Festival, February 12, 1988 - Previously unissued

Barney Wilen: tenor and soprano sax
Tete Montoliu: piano
Riccardo del Fra: bass
Aaron Scott: drums

SIDE A:
1. L’ÂME DES POÈTES 9:49
(Charles Trénet) [Wilen-Del Fra duet]
2. ’ROUND MIDNIGHT 8:46
(Thelonious Monk)
3. SUMMERTIME 8:34
(George & Ira Gershwin – DuBose Heyward)

SIDE B:
1. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE 8:23
(Jerome Kern – Oscar Hammerstein II)
2. LA VALSE DES LILAS 5:47
(Michel Legrand – Eddy Marnay-Eddie Barclay)
3. MEDLEY: SOUS LE CIEL DE PARIS / AUTUMN LEAVES (LES FEUILLES MORTES)
(Jean Dréjac – Hubert Giraud) / (Jacques Prévert-Joseph Kosma-Johnny Mercer) 12:57

Looks tasty indeed .... but as "Side A + B" ist this vinyl only or also CD .... ?

About the blurb (Philippe Vincent, Jazz Magazine): “To my knowledge, Barney Wilen and Tete Montoliu had never played together before. The uniqueness of the event gives it even more flavour”.

To my knowledge, they HAD played together before:

On March 6, 1960, the III Gala Internacional del Jazz took place at the Teatro Calderón in Barcelona. 

The morning concert started with the Tete Montoliu Y Sus All Stars group [Tete Montoliu (ldr, p), Perry Robinson (cl), Álvaro 'Vicho' Vicencio (ts), Antonio Vidal (b), Luis Sangareau (d)], followed by the Barney Wilen Quartet with Kenny Clarke and Oscar Pettiford (though bassist was finally replaced by Paul Rovère).

A jam session with Barney Wilen, Tete Montoliu, Kenny Clarke, Paul Rovère, 'Vicho' Vicencio and Perry Robinson followed this concert.

It was reviewed in Club de Ritmo #167, March 1960.

This one recently came out on both LP and CD and sure is nice.

Barney Wilen & Alain Jean-Marie – Montréal Duets – Limited Gatefold LP 180 Gram & 2CD Digipack Edition

ELEMENTAL MUSIC PRESENTS A NEVER BEFORE HEARD DUO PERFORMANCE BY THE GREAT FRENCH SAXOPHONIST AND THE EXQUISITE PIANIST IN PRISTINE SOUND QUALITY!!

ALL TRACKS PREVIOUSLY UNISSUED.

INCLUDES SPECIAL ESSAYS BY FAMED JAZZ WRITERS PASCAL ANQUETIL (JAZZ MAGAZINE) & BRIAN MORTON (PENGUIN GUIDE TO JAZZ)

LP TRACKLIST

SIDE A
1 SKATING IN CENTRAL PARK 10:39
2 ‘ROUND MIDNIGHT 10:06
3 I’M A FOOL TO WANT YOU 8:49

SIDE B
1 MEDLEY: REPETITION /NO PROBLEM 12:03
2 MY FUNNY VALENTINE [Dedicated to Chet Baker] 8:55
3 BÉSAME MUCHO 8:56

CD TRACKLIST

CD1
FIRST CONCERT (8:00 PM)
1 ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE 10:34
2 SKATING IN CENTRAL PARK 10:52
3 ‘ROUND MIDNIGHT 10:36
4 MEDLEY: REPETITION / NO PROBLEM 12:19
5 MY FUNNY VALENTINE [Dedicated to Chet Baker] 9:25
6 A NIGHT IN TUNISIA [Dedicated to Dizzy Gillespie] 6:00
7 LATIN ALLEY 7:20
8 GOODBYE 7:58
Total Time: 75:04

CD2
SECOND CONCERT (10:30 PM)
1 ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE #2 5:12
2 SKATING IN CENTRAL PARK #2 9:08
3 I’M A FOOL TO WANT YOU [Dedicated to Chet Baker] 9:26
4 BOHEMIA AFTER DARK 6:27
5 ‘ROUND MIDNIGHT #2 8:32
6 MEDLEY: REPETITION #2 /NO PROBLEM #2 9:34
7 A NIGHT IN TUNISIA #2 [Dedicated to Dizzy Gillespie] 6:27
8 BÉSAME MUCHO 10:03
9 GOODBYE #2 7:27
Total Time: 72:16

PERSONNEL:

BARNEY WILEN, SAX TENOR & SOPRANO
ALAIN JEAN-MARIE PIANO

Recorded live at The Festval International de Jazz de Montréal, Church of the Gesù, Montrleal, Canada, July 4, 1993

Thanks for the reminder on this previous release, kh1958! :tup

Back on the upcoming one, I still wonder how it can come up to 2 discs for the CD version, if time only runs up to 54', at least as long as the current information on the tracks included is correct. Against this background, we would gather that the upcoming release does not include the complete concert. From the information in my files -coming directly from Radio France archives-, at least we are missing “Billie’s Bounce” (7:45); “Montalia/Invitation” (13:15); “Blues for DN” (3:30); “Scrapple from the Apple” (7:00); and “Someday My Prince Will Come” (7:20).

BTW, this concert took place at the Grande Salle, Le Cargo, and was recorded and partially broadcast by Radio France.

Edited by EKE BBB

11 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

About the blurb (Philippe Vincent, Jazz Magazine): “To my knowledge, Barney Wilen and Tete Montoliu had never played together before. The uniqueness of the event gives it even more flavour”.

To my knowledge, they HAD played together before:

On March 6, 1960, the III Gala Internacional del Jazz took place at the Teatro Calderón in Barcelona. 

The morning concert started with the Tete Montoliu Y Sus All Stars group [Tete Montoliu (ldr, p), Perry Robinson (cl), Álvaro 'Vicho' Vicencio (ts), Antonio Vidal (b), Luis Sangareau (d)], followed by the Barney Wilen Quartet with Kenny Clarke and Oscar Pettiford (though bassist was finally replaced by Paul Rovère).

A jam session with Barney Wilen, Tete Montoliu, Kenny Clarke, Paul Rovère, 'Vicho' Vicencio and Perry Robinson followed this concert.

It was reviewed in Club de Ritmo #167, March 1960.

I was gonna say when I saw this on instagram that they surely had to have played together before. Would have been nice had Wilen made it to Scandinavia to play with Tete a few years later as well...

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Yes, the estate of Barney Wilen just confirmed on FB that the CD edition (1 CD) will include the missing tracks.

If what has been posted for timings is correct, this wouldn't fit onto 1 CD. I calculate 93 minutes (54 minutes for the LP tracks + 7:45 + 13:15 + 3:30 + 7:00 + 7:20 for the extra tracks).

36 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Dusty says it's TWO cds, 12/4/2020

52 minutes ago, bresna said:

If what has been posted for timings is correct, this wouldn't fit onto 1 CD. I calculate 93 minutes (54 minutes for the LP tracks + 7:45 + 13:15 + 3:30 + 7:00 + 7:20 for the extra tracks).

Yes, it is my mistake. I misinterpreted their FB post.

• 3 months later...

This is how this concert now looks like in my TM Discography.

I have identified some mistakes in the instrumention listed in the Radio France files that I was provided with some fifteen years ago. No instrument specifics in the booklet from the Elemental Music 2-cd release.

Further confirmation by more trained ears than mine would be much appreciated, particularly on soprano AND tenor sax on tracks 10 and 11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: February 12, 1988
Location: Grenoble Jazz Festival, Grande Salle, Le Cargo, Grenoble, France
Label: [radio broadcast]

Barney Wilen (ldr, ss, ts), Tete Montoliu (p), Ricardo Del Fra (b), Aaron Scott (d)

a.

L'âme Des Pòetes - 9:11 (Charles Trenet)

b.

Billie's Bounce - 7:38 (Charlie Parker)

c.

'Round Midnight – 8:20 (Thelonious Monk, Bernie Hanighen, Cootie Williams)

d.

Summertime - 8:22 (George Gershwin, Dubose Heyward)

e.

It Never Entered My Mind (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart)

f.

Invitation - 13:12 (Paul Francis Webster, Bronislau Kaper)

g.

All The Things You Are – 7:59 (Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II)

h.

Once Upon A Summertime [aka La Valse des Lilas] - 5:25 (Johnny Mercer, Michel Legrand, Edmond David Bacri)

i.

Sous Le Ciel De Paris (Hubert Giraud, Jean Andre Brun)

j.

Autumn Leaves [aka Les Feuilles Mortes] - 12:06 (Jacques Prevert, Joseph Kosma, Johnny Mercer)

k.

Blues For DN – 3:35  (Barney Wilen, Tete Montoliu)

l.

Scrapple From The Apple – 6:54 (Charlie Parker)

m.

Someday My Prince Will Come - 7:25 (Frank E. Churchill, Larry Morey)

All titles on:

Elemental Music CD: 5990438 —  Barney Wilen Quartet Feat. Tete Montoliu. Grenoble ‘88   (2020)

Barney Wilen (ss) on a, c, l-m; (ts) on a-b, d, g-m. Tete Montoliu (p) on b-m. Ricardo Del Fra (b) on a-d, f-m. Aaron Scott (d) on b-d, f-m.

e, f played as a medley. i, j played as a medley.

Recorded and partially broadcast (b, d, h, i, j, l) by Radio France.

e listed as 'Montalia' on Radio France files.

h listed as two different tunes on Radio France files ('La Valse Des Lilas' and 'Once Upon A Summertime'), but in fact this is just one Michel Legrand composition with two alternative titles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by EKE BBB

5 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

No trained ears to ascertain whether it is soprano AND tenor on those two tracks? :blink:

(links to youtube included for easiness of access to the music)

For me it's clear, but I would like to have a second qualified opinion.

I'm not qualified because my ears aren't trained. but that's definitely soprano & tenor on those tracks. :cool:

(and a whole lotta applause at the end of Scrapple!)

8 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I'm not qualified because my ears aren't trained. but that's definitely soprano & tenor on those tracks. :cool:

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated... and qualified indeed! :tup

9 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

(and a whole lotta applause at the end of Scrapple!)

Certainly, quite irritating cd-filler, not only on Scrapple From The Apple.