Gerry Mulligan & the CJB and the ‘60 World Series

DMP

Yesterday was the anniversary of the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates beating the Yankees to win the World Series. The game ended around 3:30, with Bill Mazeroski’s 9th inning home run in the seventh game, certainly one of the great moments in baseball. (Every year fans gather at the site of Forbes Field to listen to a broadcast of the game.) Anyway, Gerry Mulligan and his Concert Jazz Band were on what I think was their initial tour, with a stop in Pittsburgh at (I believe) the Syria Mosque that night. That venue (the home of the Pittsburgh Symphony and the site of probably every major artist of the period - among many others, I caught The Who, Ravi Shankar, Roland Kirk, but foolishly skipped Bob Dylan and Joan Baez) was a stone’s throw from the ball park.  The city, of course, went wild!  Did the concert come off? I think Mulligan talks about this in the notes in the “On Tour” LP, but my copy is long gone.  Can”t imagine many people were interested in “I’m Gonna Go Fishin’” that night. 

6 minutes ago, DMP said:

Yesterday was the anniversary of the 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates beating the Yankees to win the World Series. The game ended around 3:30, with Bill Mazeroski’s 9th inning home run in the seventh game, certainly one of the great moments in baseball. (Every year fans gather at the site of Forbes Field to listen to a broadcast of the game.) Anyway, Gerry Mulligan and his Concert Jazz Band were on what I think was their initial tour, with a stop in Pittsburgh at (I believe) the Syria Mosque that night. That venue (the home of the Pittsburgh Symphony and the site of probably every major artist of the period - among many others, I caught The Who, Ravi Shankar, Roland Kirk, but foolishly skipped Bob Dylan and Joan Baez) was a stone’s throw from the ball park.  The city, of course, went wild!  Did the concert come off? I think Mulligan talks about this in the notes in the “On Tour” LP, but my copy is long gone.  Can”t imagine many people were interested in “I’m Gonna Go Fishin’” that night. 

It did!  Here's an online scan of the back cover:  30369255092_2.jpg

On 10/15/2020 at 5:31 AM, DMP said:

Thanks!  That would be a 3 mile walk from downtown, where the hotels were located, mostly uphill, as he describes. Hell of a band! (And hell of a World Series.)

One of he worst days ever.  In 1960 was in 7th grade and already a committed, die-hard Yankee fan.  Our teacher let us watch the game on TV as long as we stood for the National Anthem.  Everything was going smoothly when an easy double play ball took a bad bounce and hit Tony Kubek in the throat.  It was downhill from then on.  When Maz hit the winning home run, everyone else went outside for noon recess, but I stayed in the classroom and wrote the Yankee logo all over all six blackboards in the classroom.  My teacher was not amused.  For my trouble, I had to clean the blackboards at the end of the day for two weeks.

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

One of he worst days ever.  In 1960 was in 7th grade and already a committed, die-hard Yankee fan.  Our teacher let us watch the game on TV as long as we stood for the National Anthem.  Everything was going smoothly when an easy double play ball took a bad bounce and hit Tony Kubek in the throat.  It was downhill from then on.  When Maz hit the winning home run, everyone else went outside for noon recess, but I stayed in the classroom and wrote the Yankee logo all over all six blackboards in the classroom.  My teacher was not amused.  For my trouble, I had to clean the blackboards at the end of the day for two weeks.

Tell it again.  Tell it again!!!

:g

What always gets me is that series, which went the distance, ended during the second week in October.  In the afternoon. I remember it being a pleasant day. Today the season stretches out another month, with night games in lousy weather. What next?  Designated hitters?