Baltimore Jazz Conference 10/17

bertrand

16 hours ago, bertrand said:

https://www.baltimorejazz.com/baltimore-jazz-conference-2020/?fbclid=IwAR3q4KZOkvV_KlIDH6US7Ah_ginP5moUBpJ2GWFD-r1pO2jljGWakb0I8Sg

Register for FREE at the link above for the zoom meeting. I will be on the Left Bank Jazz Panel at 2:30PM.

Thanks for the heads-up--I may take a break from radio work to tune into that.

9 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Thanks for the heads-up--I may take a break from radio work to tune into that.

That would be great. I hope to guide the discussion in some unexpected directions. It's free, but you do need to register.

Edited by bertrand

13 hours ago, bertrand said:

That would be great. I hope to guide the discussion in some unexpected directions. It's free, but you do need to register.

Appreciation again for mentioning the panel--it was interesting to hear the stories and details that came out of that discussion.  I wonder if there's potential for a book about the Left Bank, similar to Kathy Sloane's Keystone Korner: Portrait of a Jazz Club that Indiana University Press published a few years back (and which can currently be purchased for  $6.90 new through that Amazon link--:o--that's a bargain price, especially considering that it comes with a CD of live recordings from the club).  

Edited by ghost of miles

It did not go like I wanted, because I was told a minute before that it was verboten to talk about the tapes. I am not sure what the details are on that exactly, I am  supposed to hear back. Not holding my breath.

The few remaining members are still obsessed with having full control even after all these years. They do not get that they already relinquished control with their last two deals. Sending original tapes to Uptown and not keeping copies sure was a dumb-ass move. And somehow, the Lee Morgan tapes got lost to or from Dorn. Oops.

There is book potential, but a long article first would be good. As you can tell, the members have no inclination to get into any specific details, and are even cold to those who try. We will have to look elsewhere.

But the research continues and ultimately, who played when is what matters. Hot off the press, Mike Fitzgerald just went public with this:

https://jazzmf.com/left-bank-jazz-society/

Please note that it is still a rough draft.

Tons of questions will emanate from this. One that won't because instrumentation is not listed: Did Ray Draper really play Flugelhorn with Blakey in 1979? Waiting to hear back from Valery Ponomarev.

Happy reading.

Edited by bertrand