Favorite or least liked Roland Kirk albums

dave9199

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a legitimate way to view his attitude as a producer - self-indulgence seems to be a sign of the trade, with individual marks - Teo Macero, Orrin Keepnews, Joel Dorn, Manfred Eicher, even Michael Cuscuna somehow show an ego thing of some sort to confirm their importance for the music.

There are great producers who just stand back and disappear behind the music - so it's no wonder I cannot come up with any names right now - Chuck Nessa perhaps?

Couple of corrections here - I'm a serious producer, not a great one AND I do exhibit that ego. I don't think most people (many musicians included) understand what a decent producer can do to generate optimum results from a project.

See, I turned the Kirk thread into one about ME for a minute.

Anyway, with this talk about producers nobody mentioned Jack Tracy as producer of the Argo date and many, if not all of the Mercury/Limelight dates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nevermind, I found out he's on only one song.

Anyway, I've been trying to buy Kirk's somewhat chronlogically and have hit some stumbling blocks. After listening to clips, I just didn't like the majority of Left & Right, Blacknuss, The 3 Sided Dream & Meeting Of The Times. From what I've heard of the rest of the 70's stuff, I'm willing to take a chance on them.

Edited by dave9199

Any opinions of Les McCann Live at Montreux with Kirk as a sideman?

Frankly, not as successful as the Les McCann / Eddie Harris pairing. McCann's ryhthm section, especially drummer Donald Dean, was too sluggish to match Rahsaan's relentless energy. I found it disppointing and sold it.

Only for the Rahsaan completist.

Someone asked for live records in an early post:

His first Atlantic LP Here Comes The Whistleman was recorded live before an audience at some radio station, he has the audience blowing whistle all through the title track ... I like this one a lot, it has Jaki Byard and Lonnie Smith (not the organist) alternating at the piano. I bought all Kirk Atlantics on LP as they came out, and still have them all, which is telling.

Edited by mikeweil