Favorite or least liked Roland Kirk albums

dave9199

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just list a couple of favorites.

Bright Moments - I nominate this as the quintessential live Kirk album, though the true quintessence must include the visual, so the video The One Man Twins is essential. It unfortunately hasn't made it to DVD.

Rip, Rig & Panic - I think many will agree this is his best "pure jazz" album.

Blacknuss & Volunteered Slavery, both for the amazing alchemy he did with the soul tunes of the day. I have the 32 Jazz compilation, "Left Hook, Right Cross" that includes both.

That's my short list. After that, everything else!

I've yet to hear one I didn't like. I have RIP RIG & PANIC coupled with NOW PLEASE DON'T YOU CRY BEAUTIFUL EDITH, and would agree this is great stuff. I like all the other albums I have by him, but that twofer gets the most playtime:

DOMINO

PREPARE THYSELF TO DEAL WITH A MIRACLE

RAHSAAN RAHSAAN

THE CASE OF THE THREE-SIDED DREAM IN AUDIO COLOR

THE MAN WHO CRIED FIRE

...AUDIO COLOR is a little more funk oriented, and THE MAN WHO CRIED FIRE is a Hyena release that I like the least of my Kirks.

I'd agree with Pete C. on Rip, Rig and Panic (available with the underrated Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith). I'd put Domino and We Free Kings in there too. But here are 3 I rarely see mentioned:

Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Al Hibbler: A Meeting of the Times (available as a Collectible album combined with -- of all things -- Ornette! i.e. the Atlantic Ornette! album, not Coleman meets Kirk.)

Roy Haynes: Out of the Afternoon on Impulse (1961?) with Kirk, Tommy Flanagan and Henry Grimes

Jaki Byard Experience: on Prestige with Kirk, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson

Rahsaan was an irrepressible cat -- don't be fooled into labeling him a sideman on these disks.

all of them!!! B)

:tup

Start with the Rah box (Mercury, 10CDs), then get "The Inflated Tear", then start on all the Atlantics, make sure you get hold of a copy of the 3CD set (32jazz) with two live discs and Kirk's stunning solo album, and after that you'll want to have the rest... the Warner albums do have some very fine playing, too!

And one I'm very fond of is "Introducing", rec. 1960, with Ira Sullivan - a beautiful album, indeed!

(And he did record his first album four years before, for Bethlehem, another nice one).

Then the Prestige album with Jack McDuff is really cool, too!

ubu

I've been trying to name a favorite. . . and just can't. I am about to put forth a title, and then remember another and another. . . .

The one that most recently bowled me over on relistening was "Prepare Yourself for a Miracle" but. . . that's only because it was the most recent listen!

You just can't go wrong with this consistent jazz monster!

I'll just list a couple of favorites.

Bright Moments - I nominate this as the quintessential live Kirk album, though the true quintessence must include the visual, so the video The One Man Twins is essential. It unfortunately hasn't made it to DVD.

Rip, Rig & Panic - I think many will agree this is his best "pure jazz" album.

Blacknuss & Volunteered Slavery, both for the amazing alchemy he did with the soul tunes of the day. I have the 32 Jazz compilation, "Left Hook, Right Cross" that includes both.

That's my short list. After that, everything else!

I agree completely with Pete's list. A few others to add are:

Inflatable Tear

Left and Right

I've been trying to name a favorite. . . and just can't. I am about to put forth a title, and then remember another and another. . . .

The one that most recently bowled me over on relistening was "Prepare Yourself for a Miracle" but. . . that's only because it was the most recent listen!

You just can't go wrong with this consistent jazz monster!

:tup

Same here! Even in his Warner years there was some real good stuff!

ubu

"I Talk With The Spirits" is a superb album. I've played that many times since I first got the Limelite LP of it, and it still sounds fresh. It has some prime Horace Parlan, and makes a nice follow-up to Horace's BN albums; his solo on "Trees" is a gem.

The idea on this album is that Kirk plays flute "only", but that's no limitation at all for him!

That's "Rowland Kirk", as the guy with the funny accent at Ronnie Scott's called him when I saw him there in 1972. :D

'Bout the only stuff I'm even a little cold on is the post-"500 Lb. Man" WB material, (not "500 Lb" itself, though, which remains one of my favorite Kirk sides for the superb integration of production and performance, a more fully - and perfectly - realized version of the concepts of "aural theatre" put forth on "Audio Dream", I think) and even then, there's never really a bad album or a bad performance, just some (what are for me, anyway) "questionable" production decisions.

And having said that, many of his earlier Atlantic albums are uneven like a mofo, but in the way that a roller coaster ride is uneven. I, for one LOVE roller coaster rides!

I really have a soft place in my heart for his three warner bros. albums, most recently compiled into 2cds as "A Standing Eight" on 32 Jazz. A great eclectic collection of music with great sidemen/women (Hank Jones, Milt Hinton, Trudy Pitts, Charlie Persip, Steve Turre, Percy Heath,Tiny Grimes, Sammy Price, etc). Kirk mainly plays tenor sax with some flute and harmonica. Very little multiple horn playing since a fair amount of this music is post stroke.

I doubt many people think these are his best releases but you certainly have to admire his determination to the end even though he didn't have much left to give. I equate his last album to Ellington's tribute to Billy Stayhorn in that you feel the joy and celebration in the music as well as the sadness and melancholy.

I own several of Rahsaan Roland Kirk's recordings. The ones I return to the most are "We Free Kings", "Domino", "Rip, Rig and Panic", "Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith", "The Inflated Tear", and recordings he did with Mingus.