Toshinori Kondo (1948-2020)

OliverM

Great trumpeter Toshinori Kondo has died on Saturday, October 17, his sons have stated in an obituary this Sunday:

http://www.toshinorikondo.com/

He was a personal favorite as part of Die Like a Dog Quartet and something very special to be experienced live, as seen in two different settings at Mulhouse festival in 2017.

This is sudden and sad.

Was just listening to him the other day on a recently released show with Fred Anderson, Tatsu Aoki & Hamid Drake from December 1994. His playing on this recordings is off the hook incredible. To be at The Velvet Lounge for that show?!?! Wow - I had no idea he played with Fred.

I commented that there was no one like him and what he did with Die Like a Dog quartet with Peter, William & Hamid would be legendary in a sane musical world 

one of my biggest musical regrets was a missed opportunity to see the full quartet back in the late 90’s. 

genius improvisor - what he did with the pedals and electronics with his trumpet was untouchable 

RIP, Sir

of course I dedicate that sign off to Ulrich 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

What a shame.

I sat in the front row when he played with Full Blast at the Vortex. It was so loud it nearly hurt (shades of Motorhead).  But the playing was wonderful, Kondo's in particular.

I don't know nearly enough about his recordings away from Brotzmann.

Edited by mjazzg

2 hours ago, Jason Bivins said:

Very sad news. Seeing DLAD live at the Empty Bottle is still one of my favorite live experiences ever, thanks in no small part to TK's cosmic shapes. RIP, sir, and thank you.

Jason - remember the days we were all discovering this stuff and sharing with each other on line? With Bruce K Woods, Gordon, Walter & Sisco? When was the Empty Bottle show?

• 1 year later...
On 10/19/2020 at 8:46 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Was just listening to him the other day on a recently released show with Fred Anderson, Tatsu Aoki & Hamid Drake from December 1994. His playing on this recordings is off the hook incredible. To be at The Velvet Lounge for that show?!?! Wow - I had no idea he played with Fred.

I commented that there was no one like him and what he did with Die Like a Dog quartet with Peter, William & Hamid would be legendary in a sane musical world 

one of my biggest musical regrets was a missed opportunity to see the full quartet back in the late 90’s. 

genius improvisor - what he did with the pedals and electronics with his trumpet was untouchable 

RIP, Sir

of course I dedicate that sign off to Ulrich 

Word, dude.