Keith Jarrett in NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/arts/music/keith-jarrett-piano.html

<< He had been scheduled to return to Carnegie the following March for another of the solo recitals that have done the most to create his legend — like the one captured on the recording “Budapest Concert,” to be released on Oct. 30. But that Carnegie performance was abruptly canceled, along with the rest of his concert calendar. At the time, Mr. Jarrett’s longtime record label, ECM, cited unspecified health issues. There has been no official update in the two years since.

But this month Mr. Jarrett, 75, broke the silence, plainly stating what happened to him: a stroke in late February 2018, followed by another one that May. It is unlikely he will ever perform in public again.

“I was paralyzed,” he told The New York Times, speaking by phone from his home in northwest New Jersey. “My left side is still partially paralyzed. I’m able to try to walk with a cane, but it took a long time for that, took a year or more. And I’m not getting around this house at all, really.” >>

With Gary Peacock's passing,  I found myself listening to most of my Standards Trio albums and being thankful I saw their penultimate concert.  I still hoped (and hope!) to see Keith Jarrett again one day. 

I think of musicians like Frank Foster, Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Eberhard Weber (to name a few) who have been silenced by strokes.  Here's wishing Jarrett the best.

Jarrett's solo and trio work has brought me much pleasure over the years, and I'm grateful for the musical legacy he has left us.  I will be reviewing Budapest Concert in the next week.  Will anyone who is a KJ fan be surprised necessarily? Not really... it's just a continuation of the thing he did really well, and that's all that matters.