Spencer Davis, RIP.

Hardbopjazz

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

RIP Spencer Davis!

I respected him like I did Herbie Mann and Miles Davis, because they hired band members who were better than them. 

Agreed.  Not just that Winwood kid (and whatever became of him, anyways, did he do anything else ;)), but Eddie Hardin was also really good. 

1 hour ago, felser said:

Agreed.  Not just that Winwood kid (and whatever became of him, anyways, did he do anything else ;)), but Eddie Hardin was also really good. 

Stevie Winwood was already known as a jazz musician even before he joined Spencer Davis. He played with Muff in a family traditional jazz band. Just to show what class and integrity SW had; when he was asked to perform in a Ray Charles Tribute concert in the UK as one of the lead acts, he told them he was nowhere near the level of artist that Ray Charles was, and that he would feel out of place performing at the concert.

RIP, Spencer Davis.

31 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Stevie Winwood was already known as a jazz musician even before he joined Spencer Davis.

Stood right next to me in front of the Hammond digging Lonnie Smith with big smile on his face at a Lou Donaldson gig some years ago. Obviously a big fan.

Edited by sidewinder

7 hours ago, sgcim said:

Cool story, thanks!

No problem !  It was at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town, with Lonnie as part of Lou’s  band of the time. Early 2000s. I was stood right in front of Lonnie’s B-3 and thought the guy stood next to me on the right looked very familiar - it was Winwood. Great evening - Lou made his usual comments about fusion confusion and a good time was had by all.

Lonnie made a striking appearance through the front door of the venue on his way to the gig wearing turban and carrying a couple of supermarket bags as if he had just come back from a mega shop at Sainsbury’s.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

No problem !  It was at the Jazz Cafe in Camden Town, with Lonnie as part of Lou’s  band of the time. Early 2000s. I was stood right in front of Lonnie’s B-3 and thought the guy stood next to me on the right looked very familiar - it was Winwood. Great evening - Lou made his usual comments about fusion confusion and a good time was had by all.

Lonnie made a striking appearance through the front door of the venue on his way to the gig wearing turban and carrying a couple of supermarket bags as if he had just come back from a mega shop at Sainsbury’s.

I saw that band (Lonnie/Lou) at the Village Vanguard around that time. Lonnie was incredible. I went expecting to dig Lou's playing live and left with a greater appreciation of Lonnie's organ skills. He got sounds out of that organ that I'd never heard before (or since?).

We should start a thread here... "Have You Ever Stood Next To Celebrity?" :)