Charles Tolliver Music Inc - Compassion

mjzee

That’s great news! Also issued as Baystate New Tolliver isn’t it? Yeah 40 bucks is overpriced of course but second hand alternatives will not be a lot cheaper and Pure Pleasure really does a good job remastering records. Never liked the 90’s Bellaphons from Germany. This one will be on my list.

Oh Tollivers ‘In the Trenches’ is also on DG again up for release.... for the 4th time....

Hope it sees a reissue on CD too - not that I need one (I’ve got one of those Bellaphon CD issues from the early 90’s — the very first CD that I ever bought on eBay specifically from overseas, from the UK iirc).

It’s a fantastic date, and a rare appearance by Nathen Page on guitar  (and no piano) - and he did spell Nathen with an ‘e’ (though you often see it misspelled as “Nathan”.

*IF* it were to see a reissue on CD with any bonus tracks, I’d order one in a heartbeat.

It (Compassion) — and the first Music Inc big band -/ were the only two CD’s I had Charles autograph for me back in February, the one and only time I ever have seen Charles live (up in Baltimore, with Bertrand).

Page is a fascinating player, who had an atypical nonstandard picking technique of some sort (a finger-pick on his thumb, iirc). It limited his dexterity a bit, and some might argue his technique is a bit clunky, or even homemade sounding.

But I love Page’s unique (weird) sound, and wish he had recorded more. His sound is obviously night and day different, but I’ve always wondered if maybe a parallel player (in terms of weird sound) might be Neil Young’s soling technique on electric. Light years different, but somehow equally outside the norm.

Anyone who doesn’t have this date, and if a more reasonably priced CD of it emerges, should definitely check it out.