New Blue Note LP Series - Classic Vinyl Reissue Series

Kevin Bresnahan

Blue Note is bringing back some of their best selling titles on vinyl in a new series, dubbed the "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series". These will be budget priced (~$25 list) cut by Kevin Gray and pressed at Optimal in Germany, like their recent 80th Anniversary LPs. These should sound very good but don't expect to be impressed by the LP sleeve - the 80th Anniversary titles had iffy (being generous) reproduction on the cover art. Gray cut all the Music Matters Jazz LPs as well as the higher-end Blue Note Tone Poet LPs on the market today.

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

December 4, 2020

Lee Morgan – The Sidewinder

McCoy Tyner – The Real McCoy

January 15, 2021

Horace Silver – Song for My Father

Wayne Shorter – Speak No Evil

February 12, 2021

Cannonball Adderley – Somethin’ Else

Joe Henderson – Page One

March 12, 2021

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Moanin’

Hank Mobley – Soul Station

April 9, 2021

Sonny Clark – Cool Struttin’

Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack

May 14, 2021

Dexter Gordon – GO!

Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch

June 11, 2021

Grant Green – Idle Moments

Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue

July 9, 2021

Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie

Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage

39 minutes ago, colinmce said:

zzzzzzzzzz

Not if you're looking for audiophile LP cuts of these classic titles. The Music Matters LPs are out of print and going for big bucks. Vinyl is in and these fill a niche.

I'm thinking about buying a wall mounted Pro-Ject VT-E turntable and these inexpensive records would be great to play on this not-so-great turntable. I can play these classic titles and not worry about ruining an expensive record. Play them, wear them out whatever - get another. :)

Pro-Ject Vertical Turntable Review

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

zzzzzzzzzz

Ditto !

21 minutes ago, bresna said:

Not if you're looking for audiophile LP cuts of these classic titles. The Music Matters LPs are out of print and going for big bucks. Vinyl is in and these fill a niche.

I'm thinking about buying a wall mounted Pro-Ject VT-E turntable and these inexpensive records would be great to play on this not-so-great turntable. I can play these classic titles and not worry about ruining an expensive record. Play them, wear them out whatever - get another. :)

Pro-Ject Vertical Turntable Review

Hopefully not wall mounted in that orientation ! :D

I have bought several of these BN80 LPs for under $18 during sales. $18 for an audiophile LP is pretty much unheard of these days.

Bottom feeders are screwed. No such thing as a "cheap" Blue Note LP. Even used 70s cuts go for $15-20 these days. These Kevin Gray cuts will be much better than those. The artwork might not be, but does that really matter?

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Ditto !

Hopefully not wall mounted in that orientation ! :D

No, I am looking at the right handed one but I couldn't find a picture of one of those mounted on a wall.

Project VT-E: the turntable goes vertical - The Audiophile Man

7 minutes ago, Eric said:

Buys used CDs  :g

EXACTLY!. and used LPs. and whatnot on them onteronets. $25 needs to get me something that is truly rare/unheard, not something I can get for less by just looking around in stores and on the internet.

Or what you can really do is start exploring classical, that shit is DIRT cheap  a lot of times because nobody want it. And it's good-to-great-to-transcendental music...I'm finding that one or tow pops on a Beethoven late quartet that I don't know all that well works better for me than a cleaner copy of something I already know by hear (and mind). And you get into "modern" classical, whoa more interesting than listening to regurgitated (fill in the blanks of whatever kind of jazz you like).

It all has its limits, of course, but for $25, I can easily come home with 5-6 used classical LPs in REALLY good condition. Or a lot of CDs of anything that doesn't duplicate what I already know.

$25.00!!!!!! What did Mahalia say, "JESUS, Duke!"?

That.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Or what you can really do is start exploring classical, that shit is DIRT cheap  a lot of times because nobody want it. And it's good-to-great-to-transcendental music...I'm finding that one or tow pops on a Beethoven late quartet that I don't know all that well works better for me than a cleaner copy of something I already know by hear (and mind). And you get into "modern" classical, whoa more interesting than listening to regurgitated (fill in the blanks of whatever kind of jazz you like).

It all has its limits, of course, but for $25, I can easily come home with 5-6 used classical LPs in REALLY good condition. Or a lot of CDs of anything that doesn't duplicate what I already know.

So true.  There are PLENTY of classical LPs & CDs in my collection that I paid a one or two dollars for.  

And not crappy records.  Many, many outstanding recordings.  Great artists on top-shelf labels.

Seems like hardly anyone wants classical music anymore -- especially vinyl.  

Good for me, I guess.  ;)