CharlesTolliver - The Ringer

Tom 1960

I don’t know the relation between 1201 and Black Lion but 1201 looks like the Black Lion distributor in the US or something. Anyway I’ve got Wardell Gray’s One for Prez in 1201 and that release is fine. So is Archie Shepp’s Montreux Two. 

on the Ringer: that’s a freakin great record. But to me, most of Tollivers output is pure gold.

My very favorite Tolliver album.  Awesome.  1201 is fine, though absolutely no frills.   The album was originally on Freedom records, so any other label is a lease (at best).   I first owned it as a reissue on the Arista-Freedom label in the mid-70's, then got the Black Lion CD in the early 90's.

My fading memory says that 1201 was by the same German company as Black Lion, around 2000 they had two series, the crappy "Jazz View" and the premium (though not premium looking) 1201... I have a few of their CDs and at least some of them sound really good (the Grant Green aka Dave Bailey album)

10 hours ago, felser said:

My very favorite Tolliver album.  Awesome.  1201 is fine, though absolutely no frills.   The album was originally on Freedom records, so any other label is a lease (at best).   I first owned it as a reissue on the Arista-Freedom label in the mid-70's, then got the Black Lion CD in the early 90's.

I haven the Freedom issue on vinyl and Black Lion on CD. Definitely a great album!

Black Lion on CD here. I’ve see 1-2 other covers on LP only, and the Black Lion cover is the only CD version I’ve ever seen ‘out in the wild’ - so to speak.

Not a fan of the Black Lion cover, and if any other options could be had cheaply ($15 or less), I’d probably upgrade to any new/different cover, and ‘gift’ my Black Lion copy to someone else here in DC (I’ve got a few local friends who aren’t deep collectors, who I wish I could give a lot more of these great titles to - dates that really shouldn’t be so darn obscure and hard to find).

Around 1994, Tokuma Japan re-issued some Freedom releases on CD.  I think some of them (including The Ringer and Ornette's "Who's Crazy" ) were the first CD reissues in the world.  And yes, The Ringer is something else.  One of my favorite young Tollivers (another is "Grand-Max").

• 2 weeks later...

Well I received my copy emphasis on copy of The Ringer yesterday in the mail. I failed to read some of the reviews on Amazon which in fact stated it is a CDR. Not really happy about that but then I only spent about $8 for the disc. No frills is right.Just the names of the songs and nothing else. That said it is a pretty amazing album and I've already played it twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, T.D. said:

Definitely am. In a rare spending spree, I also bought Japanese reissues of Julius Hemphill's Dogon A.D. and Stanley Cowell's Blues for the Viet Cong. Extravagant but worth it, all three are outstanding.

I almost pulled the trigger on Blues For the Viet Cong but I figured I spent enough money already.