Sean Connery (1930 - 2020)

12 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

The Bond films will obviously be the lead talking point for most remembrances, but my favorite Connery role is in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade:

He makes that movie, and a good many others he either starred or cameoed in. Fantastic actor beyond his Bond days. RIP

On 10/31/2020 at 7:26 AM, ghost of miles said:

The Bond films will obviously be the lead talking point for most remembrances, but my favorite Connery role is in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade:

He definitely added an extra layer of fun to this movie. RIP

Edited by catesta

He used to joke that he had been at the same school as Tony Blair. "I delivered milk to Fettes when I was a milkman", he'd explain.

He had a brilliant wife, Michelline, who was well-versed in philosophy. She had a premonition about the French stage play, "Art". She advised Connery to buy the foreign rights to it. He did so, and it earned him a fortune. My fave film of his was "MWWBK"

Was there ever any attempt at all to star Sean Connery in a major motion picture production of Macbeth?   I would have loved to have seen that.  There's no demand that Macbeth be a younger man and even elderly men can still have ambition (see: current events), so even a 1990's production of "The Scottish Play" (with perhaps Dame Helen Mirren as Lady M) would have been viable.  Did Mr. Connery perhaps not consider himself enough of a Shakesperean actor?  I mean, if Mel Gibson could star in Hamlet  . . .

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2020 at 3:26 PM, ghost of miles said:

I remember him warmly for The name of the rose, based on Eco's novel. Which also started the career of a young Christian Slater.

12 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I remember him warmly for The name of the rose, based on Eco's novel. Which also started the career of a young Christian Slater.

You know its forever since I saw that, I do recall like it a lot, don't remember Slater. Did he at least not try his low-rent Nicholson impersonation in the role?