New Sam Rivers and others on No Business

felser

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere.  No Business is an interesting and trustworthy reissue label.  Jazzmessengers.com shows some intriguing new issues on the label of 1970's live concerts by Sam Rivers 

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/82161/sam-rivers/emanation-w-cecil-mcbee?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/83230/sam-rivers/archie-series-vol-3-ricochet?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, felser said:

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere.  No Business is an interesting and trustworthy reissue label.  Jazzmessengers.com shows some intriguing new issues on the label of 1970's live concerts by Sam Rivers 

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/82161/sam-rivers/emanation-w-cecil-mcbee?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/83230/sam-rivers/archie-series-vol-3-ricochet?mc_cid=adefaf5c52&mc_eid=d43870520b

No Business also has some of the most exciting new releases. I’ll be picking up one or two of the Sam Rivers archival releases soon as well as 3-4 from the new batch of CD releases (I don’t do LP’s). All of the just announced CD issues are enticing - plus their production values are very good. 

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've noticed those on Dusty Groove too.

I'd be interested to hear them -- or thoughts from anyone who's heard them already.  

I can't imagine that they'd be anything but REALLY good.  

There are 3 Rivers. I have all of them & they're REALLY good as expected.

the Rivers releases are superb - I've been nabbing them as they are released plus have been buying directly from No Business (Lithuanian outfit) for a number of years now (CD & LP) Highly recommend exploring the label - they really have their finger on the pulse (new releases & reissues).

4 minutes ago, djcavanagh said:

Storyville, to give one example, produce cd-rs rather than cds, at least in some cases, so it isn't an unreasonable question. I have the first three volumes of the Sam Rivers series and, as noted above, these are factory pressed cds. 

No Business as well as Not Two Records, Intakt, Astral Spirits, Pi recordings, Firehouse 12, Relative Pitch and a few others are the most vibrant of all jazz/avant-garde music labels in existence today. A quick search of their catalogue would confirm that fact. 

18 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

No Business as well as Not Two Records, Intakt, Astral Spirits, Pi recordings, Firehouse 12, Relative Pitch and a few others are the most vibrant of all jazz/avant-garde music labels in existence today. A quick search of their catalogue would confirm that fact. 

No-one (or at least not me) is saying anything different. But in 2020 some labels do sell cd-rs and I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to ask. In lots of ways, Storyville do a fantastic job but they do sell cd-rs on at least some of their back catalogue. As far as I can tell there is nothing on their website that indicates this, so suggesting a quick search wouldn't always pick such an issue up.  

• 1 month later...

I picked up Volume 1 from a discogs Seller recently and just listened to it yesterday (I listened to it twice, in fact). It is fantastic in every way - wonderful music, great sound (dynamic and not compreseed at all), and an excellent booklet and liner notes.

I liked it so much that I just ordered Volumes 2, 3, and 4 from No Business via their eBay listing. I have no idea how long those 3 volumes will take to get to NY from Latvia but it will be well worth the wait.

I had not previously heard about the Sam Rivers Archive Series. Thanks for this thread for pointing it out to me. Volume 1 is fantastic and I am sure that the other volumes will also be great.

Edited by pglbook