New Sam Rivers and others on No Business

felser

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 28.2.2021 at 7:12 PM, Pim said:

Are you sure? In my last contact with NoBuisness they said it would be 6 releases.

The info about 8 releases I got from Danas before the first CD in the series was released. Maybe the schedule has changed or my memory is false. I have regular contact with Danas businesswise since at least 10 or 11 years . And since 2015 we've producing reissues together on No Business. However - you could be right. We haven't communicated about the Sam Rivers' CDs except that I believe they contain simply great music.

Edit -

now I found another source for the eight CDs. See a review at No Business website by Bill Shoemaker and here , similar infos on Squidcos's website, etc...

Edited by Onxidlib

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Pim said:

Just when I was about to ask hear if anybody knew when the series would be continued I discovered volume 5 on SoundOhm:

Volume 5

I don't really know the other guys from the band. Anyone else does?

Know Steve Ellington, not the others.Steven "SteveEllington (July 26, 1941, Atlanta - March 22, 2013, Montgomery, Alabama) was an American jazz drummerEllington picked up drums when he was four years old and played with Ray Charles when he was nine. In the latter half of the 1950s he played with Charles Brown, George Adams, and Duke Pearson.

• 2 months later...
On 27/09/2021 at 0:28 PM, Pim said:

Volume 5 is another succes but I have to say that, just like 4, the sound is way worse than the first three releases. Not necessarily the most important thing but it does temper my enthusiasm a bit.

I was initially very disappointed with Vol 4 having got used to the sonic excellence of Vols 1-3. Having listened to Vol 4 repeatedly I can easily get past the deficiencies of the recording to enjoy the music which is very fine indeed. Vol 5 remains unopened but now I know not to have high expectations of the sound quality.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, jlhoots said:

Know Steve Ellington, not the others.Steven "SteveEllington (July 26, 1941, Atlanta - March 22, 2013, Montgomery, Alabama) was an American jazz drummerEllington picked up drums when he was four years old and played with Ray Charles when he was nine. In the latter half of the 1950s he played with Charles Brown, George Adams, and Duke Pearson.

Steve Ellington also played and recorded a good bit with Hal Galper in the 1990s.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...
9 minutes ago, Pim said:

http://nobusinessrecords.com/archive-series-sam-rivers-5lp-box-set.html

The LP box is upcoming with some stuff that wasn't released before. I stick to my cd's. The first four volumes are among Rivers' finest work. The last two were okay and the sound of volume 5 really sucks.

been eyeing off this set since I received their promo email a few weeks back. 150 euros is a bit steep for a 5LP set especially when there are only two previously unreleased longish tracks - been buying the CDs over the past 3 years anyway. Probably not worth it for me.

• 7 months later...

If anyone needs the information around these recordings, it's all here ...
Shipping NOW : : : 
https://www.gofundme.com/f/sam-rivers-sessionography

“A dizzying, stunning achievement of research and scholarship. ... A joyful, sometimes psychedelic experience.”
—Mike Chamberlain, allaboutjazz-dot-com

“A model of independent scholarship, ... highly immersive. ... It’s in a limited edition of 724 copies. Don’t snooze on it if you’re just going to kick yourself later.”  
—NPR music critic Kevin Whitehead, at pointofdeparture.org

“I have never encountered anything approaching the obsessive thoroughness demonstrated by Lopez. ... A testament to Rivers’ enduring music and his invaluable role as incubator/advocate/on the bandstand educator. ... Lopez’s infectious enthusiasm proves hard to resist.” 
—Peter Margasak, The WIRE @thewiremagazine

"Rick Lopez’ remarkable Sam Rivers Sessionography: A Work in Progress ... masterfully sums up Rivers’ lengthy and productive career. ... A formidable document. ... Clearly sets the standard for any future work in this format."
Robert Iannapollo, ARSC Journal

“A Rosetta Stone of insight, and a well-deserved and worthy tribute to an overlooked giant of the music.” 
—Taylor Ho Bynum

"I got my copy of Rick Lopez's magnificent "The Sam Rivers Sessionography: A Work in Progress" ... Lopez has been producing extraordinary sessionographies for 20+ years. ... I raved about his 'treasure troves of information, some of the finest scholarship available on the internet today.' ... Few people are more worthy of your support. ... The book is gorgeous."
—Tom Hull

“An incredible piece of work. It’s really something else. Informative and entertaining. ... Anticipating hours of joy.” 
—Barry Altschul

“Absolutely mind-blowing! So great!” —Mats Gustafsson

“An essential resource, a trail map for a rare and beautiful landscape of sounds.” 
—Larry Blumenfeld

“A tremendous document. ... This book is powerful.” 
—Jason Moran

“Lopez’s Sam Rivers sessionography is state of the art.” 
—Lewis Porter

“Rick Lopez’s book is by no means a biography. It’s not a discography either, and it’s not a photo documentation. And yet somehow it is everything at the same time.” 
—Wolfram Knauer review, Jazzinstitut Darmstadt (Jan 2023)

+ Jazz Journalists Association 2022 Book Awards Honorable Mention

Edited by RickLopez