felser

New Sam Rivers and others on No Business

91 posts in this topic

And it’s not all about reissues. I’m loving this one from Sabu Toyozumi and Mats Gustafsson

285.jpg

Posted (edited)

On 28.2.2021 at 7:12 PM, Pim said:

Are you sure? In my last contact with NoBuisness they said it would be 6 releases.

The info about 8 releases I got from Danas before the first CD in the series was released. Maybe the schedule has changed or my memory is false. I have regular contact with Danas businesswise since at least 10 or 11 years . And since 2015 we've producing reissues together on No Business. However - you could be right. We haven't communicated about the Sam Rivers' CDs except that I believe they contain simply great music.

Edit -

now I found another source for the eight CDs. See a review at No Business website by Bill Shoemaker and here , similar infos on Squidcos's website, etc...

Edited by Onxidlib

Posted (edited)

Then I was probably wrongly informed. I hope so for I could use another 4 of these discs. I am really amazed by the constant quality of these series. 

Edited by Pim

Just when I was about to ask hear if anybody knew when the series would be continued I discovered volume 5 on SoundOhm:

Volume 5

I don't really know the other guys from the band. Anyone else does?

1 hour ago, Pim said:

Just when I was about to ask hear if anybody knew when the series would be continued I discovered volume 5 on SoundOhm:

Volume 5

I don't really know the other guys from the band. Anyone else does?

Know Steve Ellington, not the others.Steven "SteveEllington (July 26, 1941, Atlanta - March 22, 2013, Montgomery, Alabama) was an American jazz drummerEllington picked up drums when he was four years old and played with Ray Charles when he was nine. In the latter half of the 1950s he played with Charles Brown, George Adams, and Duke Pearson.

Jerry Byrd is mostly known from organ bands I guess (Gene Ludwig, Don Patterson)... there is also already an existing album (Crosscurrent) with that lineup on Futura/Marge which can be found on spotify

Steve Ellington was also the drummer on the Hampton Hawes album, Green Leaves Of Summer.

Steve Ellington was also on two of Sam River' Blue Note titles.

R-1709351-1585073958-3406.jpeg.jpg

talk about the golden age of cutouts...

Volume 5 is another succes but I have to say that, just like 4, the sound is way worse than the first three releases. Not necessarily the most important thing but it does temper my enthusiasm a bit.

On 27/09/2021 at 0:28 PM, Pim said:

Volume 5 is another succes but I have to say that, just like 4, the sound is way worse than the first three releases. Not necessarily the most important thing but it does temper my enthusiasm a bit.

I was initially very disappointed with Vol 4 having got used to the sonic excellence of Vols 1-3. Having listened to Vol 4 repeatedly I can easily get past the deficiencies of the recording to enjoy the music which is very fine indeed. Vol 5 remains unopened but now I know not to have high expectations of the sound quality.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:17 AM, jlhoots said:

Know Steve Ellington, not the others.Steven "SteveEllington (July 26, 1941, Atlanta - March 22, 2013, Montgomery, Alabama) was an American jazz drummerEllington picked up drums when he was four years old and played with Ray Charles when he was nine. In the latter half of the 1950s he played with Charles Brown, George Adams, and Duke Pearson.

Steve Ellington also played and recorded a good bit with Hal Galper in the 1990s.