Joe McPhee

Steve Reynolds

To one of the greats that still walks this earth. A fine gentleman to boot - it was always great to see him support the NYC music as I would often see him in the audience for local shows - we would take the train from Poughkeepsie and take it home the same night. A master of three saxophones and of course his pocket trumpet.

here’s hoping for a post-Covid world that has Joe McPhee back playing in those small rooms he’s traveled the world to play in for the last few decades.

his latest recorded shows/studio sessions over the past 5-10 years reveal a master still at the peak of his powers.

I was asked for a post 80s McPhee recommendation by a friend today, who loves Nation Time, and who had come with me to see him play semi-recently off the back of that record and enjoyed the gig. The friend is a jazz fan but chary of the more abrasive stuff typically. 

I can think of around ten recommendations, but doubt there's that bandwidth in practice.

I'd be interested to know which album (one album only) people would recommend. 

6 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

To one of the greats that still walks this earth. A fine gentleman to boot - it was always great to see him support the NYC music as I would often see him in the audience for local shows - we would take the train from Poughkeepsie and take it home the same night. A master of three saxophones and of course his pocket trumpet.

here’s hoping for a post-Covid world that has Joe McPhee back playing in those small rooms he’s traveled the world to play in for the last few decades.

his latest recorded shows/studio sessions over the past 5-10 years reveal a master still at the peak of his powers.

Sorry I gave Joe an extra year. I knew he was born in 1939 - my math was off - hoping a moderator can fix to show 81 years old today instead of 82:)

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I was asked for a post 80s McPhee recommendation by a friend today, who loves Nation Time, and who had come with me to see him play semi-recently off the back of that record and enjoyed the gig. The friend is a jazz fan but chary of the more abrasive stuff typically. 

I can think of around ten recommendations, but doubt there's that bandwidth in practice.

I'd be interested to know which album (one album only) people would recommend. 

Oleo without a doubt!