King Crimson - The Complete 1969 recordings

RogerF

Anyone contemplating buying this box set? As a Crimson fan it’s very tempting but expensive (£145) but you get around 24 discs (*) and a CD of Giles,Giles and Fripp.TBH I haven’t yet played all the discs on my Red box (mind you, I don’t have Blue Ray or 5.1 capability). ITCOTCK is a prog masterpiece though. Hmmmm.

(*) Update: 26 discs actually.

4D2E4509-4F03-41FA-A58F-541501867085.jpeg

Edited by RogerF

Wow! I didn't know there was enough material from the 69 band to fill 26 discs. It will always be my fave grouping of the band, and I'm definitely going to check it out.

It was a perfect balance of composition, improvisation, song forms, lead vocalist, tasty, light drumming, ensemble writing, and melodic strength.

I always thought that Ian McDonald was the most talented (compositionally) guy behind the band, because he wrote "ITTTW", and the "mirrors" section of 21st Century Schizoid Man", but he didn't do schlitz after that band (maybe some things on "In The Wake of Poseidon"). I wrote a big band arr. of ITTTW over the pandemic. Someone else has done a big band arr. of 21st Cent. Schizoid Man, so I'm not going to do something that's already been done.

I posted my theory about Ian McDonald on Greg Lake's website, and he got very pissed off at me. He still claimed that everybody in the band had equal input on the writing, and practically told me to go piss off.

19 hours ago, bertrand said:

What is the Giles, Giles and Fripp CD? Just the previously released stuff?

Not sure. According to John Kelman’s mammoth and highly informative review of this box on AAJ, most of the stuff has been released before, much as downloads. I have The Brondesbury Tapes (GG&F) so it may be from that but am not sure. Judging by my listening to the Red box today any of the Blu Ray and DVD in the 1969 box are going to be gargantuan - there seems to be multiple hours worth of music on these non CD discs. Incidentally there seems to be a prototype of Pictures of a City included which started out and is titled here as A man, A city.