R.I.P. Alex Trebek

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd almost like to see Ben Stein get the gig, but I think Ben Stein is congenitally unable to totally shred the snark. Still...

Win Ben Stein's Money was must-watch TV. His only regret should be inflicting Jimmy Kimmel on the country.

(I liked him on the show but he's nothing short of contemptible now in his appalling political rants. Among many who drove viewers away in the wake of Jon Stewart's clown nose on/clown nose off routine. Is it too much to expect comedians to be funny?)

Yesterday, my wife told me that Alex Trebek recommended Ben Mankiewicz as his replacement.

I think he'd make an excellent host of Jeopardy -- although I'd hate to see Mankiewicz leave his TCM gig.  Always enjoy his movie intros and wrap-ups.

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Yesterday, my wife told me that Alex Trebek recommended Ben Mankiewicz as his replacement.

I think he'd make an excellent host of Jeopardy -- although I'd hate to see Mankiewicz leave his TCM gig.  Always enjoy his movie intros and wrap-ups.

I wonder if Mankiewicz's high profile political opinions can hinder any prospect for the Jeopardy gig. Though, to give him credit, he's very professional in keeping the politics away from the TCM job, and I respect that in him.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:58 AM, HutchFan said:

I've envisioned Mankiewicz eventually growing into the "elder statesman" role on TCM that Robert Osborne held (although, really, no one could ever completely fill Osborne's shoes).

I'd likewise hate to see him leave TCM, but I bet he'd get paid more as host of Jeopardy, and given the slash-and-burn approach AT&T has taken since acquiring Warner, it's anyone's guess how long TCM will continue to be around in its current form.

• 1 year later...

Does anybody seen Trebek hosting Classic Concentration? A bit (or more!) of a jerk! 

A different time of course, but good god. Now that we know better...

I applaud him for growing with and adapting to the changing notions of what constitutes basic respect, at least publicly.