Two jazz musicians finally make over a million dollars,but get indicted.

Dmitry

I may have told this story before.  If so, forgive me.  But it's a good Waffle House story. ...

My freshman year at the University of Georgia, my dorm roommate Linn had some connections.  He could get in events -- concerts and such -- as an usher.  He managed to score us an ushering gig at the Atlanta Civic Center where the Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Roberto Duran fight was being shown via closed-circuit TV.  (This is way before pay-per-view.)   Turns out, this was the famous "No mas" fight where Duran was so humiliated by Sugar Ray that he quit.  An incredible night, historic bout, and I even picked up a couple bucks as tips for seating folks.

Afterwards, Linn and I are driving back to Athens, stop in a Waffle House, late at night.  Maybe 2:00am.  We're both college students, not much money -- but we're both really hungry. No dinner all evening.  So, after sitting down, we literally pile all of our money on the table, both bills and coins. And it ain't much.  The waitress comes up, and we say, "Bring as much breakfast as you can for this much money.  Be sure to include your tip because this is ALL we got."  We don't even tell her what to bring!  We don't expect much.  We just want some food.  

A few minutes later, we were both eating enormous breakfasts.  I mean the works.  There ain't no way that our money covered even half of it.

... The perfect capper to a memorable night.  I've loved WaHo ever since.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I may have told this story before.  If so, forgive me.  But it's a good Waffle House story. ...

My freshman year at the University of Georgia, my dorm roommate Linn had some connections.  He could get in events -- concerts and such -- as an usher.  He managed to score us an ushering gig at the Atlanta Civic Center where the Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Roberto Duran fight was being shown via closed-circuit TV.  (This is way before pay-per-view.)   Turns out, this was the famous "No mas" fight where Duran was so humiliated by Sugar Ray that he quit.  An incredible night, historic bout, and I even picked up a couple bucks as tips for seating folks.

Afterwards, Linn and I are driving back to Athens, stop in a Waffle House, late at night.  Maybe 2:00am.  We're both college students, not much money -- but we're both really hungry. No dinner all evening.  So, after sitting down, we literally pile all of our money on the table, both bills and coins. And it ain't much.  The waitress comes up, and we say, "Bring as much breakfast as you can for this much money.  Be sure to include your tip because this is ALL we got."  We don't even tell her what to bring!  We don't expect much.  We just want some food.  

A few minutes later, we were both eating enormous breakfasts.  I mean the works.  There ain't no way that our money covered even half of it.

... The perfect capper to a memorable night.  I've loved WaHo ever since.

Something else that would not happen at a Denny's!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
16 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

In addition to the prison sentences, Mayfield and Markham are required to pay restitution of $1.1 million toward NOPLF at a rate of $500 monthly installments that began this month. A $200,000 payment has already been made by NOJO. At the rate of installments, it would take nearly 92 years to recoup the stolen funds.

And even more disturbing news - I've yet to visit a Waffle House...

Edited by Dmitry

56 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

https://www.offbeat.com/news/irvin-mayfield-ronald-markham-begin-18-month-sentences-in-federal-prisons/

Irvin Mayfield, Ronald Markham Begin 18-Month Sentences In Federal Prisons

Told ya... they weren't rich and they weren't white = Jail time.

On 11/11/2020 at 11:33 AM, bresna said:

They'll get jail time because they are black. Rich white men don't get jail time for fraud. In general, rich white folk don't go to prison unless they're female (see Martha Stewart, Felicity Huffman & Lori Loughlin).

But it was all worth it...

Mayfield commissioned a 24-karat gold-plated bejeweled trumpet, spent $39,000 for a prepaid concert at Carnegie Hall and $18,000 for lodging and meals at the Ritz-Carlton in New York. A single breakfast at the luxury hotel totaled $1,435.

One got low, the other medium. I wonder what a low security prison is like down in Florida. And how it differs from the medium security prison. Do the gangs of accountants and slum landlords fight for the territory with the gangs of preachers and rabbis? Is there a Waffle House on premises?

Edited by Dmitry

5 hours ago, kh1958 said:

But it was all worth it...

Mayfield commissioned a 24-karat gold-plated bejeweled trumpet, spent $39,000 for a prepaid concert at Carnegie Hall and $18,000 for lodging and meals at the Ritz-Carlton in New York. A single breakfast at the luxury hotel totaled $1,435.

$39K? Pshaw! Try $1.2 Million on undocumented expenditures: https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2019/12/23/best-stories-of-the-decade-how-donald-trump-shifted-kids-cancer-charity-money-into-his-business/?sh=33a6deec4779

White & rich gets a slap on the wrist. Black & poor gets thrown in jail.