RIP Dave Zoller

JSngry

https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/love-you-madly-dave-zoller-1941-2020

Talking with Dave Zoller about music, or more accurately, listening to Dave Zoller talk to you about music with you while you occasionally had a chance to interject a comment or observation, was one of them more fascinating things one could do at a party. The guy knew a LOT about EVERYTHING, and had opinions about all of it. One of those guys where "just shut up and listen" was the way to go, always. I mean, who else could casually throw out a line like, :just what exactly DID Wesley LaViolette do to Jimmy Giuffre anyway?" and then pivot to a conversation about the difference between Berg (you can sing it!) & Schoenberg (not very friendly!), all of which began as a conversation about Don Costa's charts for Sinatra & Strings? I mean, yeah, I'll listen to that type of taking anytime, no problem.

Most memorable exchange: "Hey man, you should be playing out more" Nah man, I don't practice enough. "Man you make awkwardness an art form. You should play out more, really".

He knew that I am a stutterer, and he was telling me that I played like how I talked, and that it was a good thing, just do it.

RIP. and lord will I miss being talked to by that guy. I'm thankful for being able to listen.

I learned about Dave as a by-product of following his son, Matt -- a film/TV critic and author -- on Twitter. A few years ago, Matt sent me several of his father's recordings. He was the real deal and his personality came through the music. There has been a lot of tragedy in Matt's family. He lost his wife recently to cancer, and I think that she might have been the second spouse he's outlived. Now his father. Matt has chronicled a lot of this on social media -- surely a form of therapy for him. I wish him and his children peace.