Esquire Records Covers Club

sidewinder

This is cool - part of this year’s LJF. Nice site dedicated to Esquire Records.

https://esquirecover.club/

Nice to hear the recollections of Val Wilmer and Ron Atkins in particular. Also big :tup to Stefano Wagner in Switzerland for sharing some of his fantastic Esquire and Prestige LP sleeve collection and for the enthusiasm !

Edited by sidewinder

Shame that there wasn’t more about/from co-founder Peter Newbrook in addition to Carlo. Newbrook did some interviews as part of that ‘Oral History of British Jazz’ project lodged with the British Library and it is a shame that at least a transcript wasn’t included on the site. Otherwise, they did a very fine job !

I’ve heard several people mention bumping into Carlo on Tottenham Court Road carrying bundles of his latest pressings. No doubt on his way to Dobells etc.

Edited by sidewinder

I have several of the Ralph Steadmans that are on there. The Mose Allison ‘Back Country Suite’, the Gil Evans and the ‘Informal Jazz’.

Real period pieces !

Dig that 16rpm Prestige Jai and Kai with the Warhol cover that Stefano was showing during his talk.:o

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.11.2020 at 2:06 AM, sidewinder said:

Even by ‘Rare as Hens Teeth’ standards, that one must be off the scale !

Which is why they tagged that bin "Rare as rocking horse manure" too. :D

I remember seeing that bin downstairs during my stopovers at Ray's too in the mid- to late 90s. The Prestige 16rpms they had at the time were beyond my financial reach but a couple of years later I found that Wallington/Woods (Prestige 5) on eBay at a price that wasn't cheap but very, very correct.