Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardbopjazz

Happy birthday George Cables.

10 posts in this topic

George Cables has endured through health issues and still sounds beautiful.  Happy Birthday, Mr. Cables!

Yes indeed.  Happy Birthday, Mr. Cables !!!

:tup 

Edited by HutchFan

I saw George Cables with The Cookers in Kassel in March 2016. His trio interludes with Cecil McBee and Billy Hart were outstanding. Happy birthday!

Saw George Cables live a couple of years ago and he sounded wonderful. As I recall, Art Pepper referred to Cables as "Mr.Beautiful". Happy Birthday!

I've seen him a LOT over the years - with Dexter, Woody, and more recently with the Cookers. A class act!

I saw George Cables with Dizzy Gillespie. Before Dizzy came on stage, they played 3 tunes, among them was a very fine Version of Monk´s "I Mean You", and the Standard "All of You" . On bass was Herbie Lewis, on drums was Louis Hayes, it was in November 1983. Shortly after that concert, Cables recorded together with Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Philly Joe Jones "Four Seasons", where he also played "All of You" and "I Mean You", as much as I remember…..

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw George Cables with Dizzy Gillespie. Before Dizzy came on stage, they played 3 tunes, among them was a very fine Version of Monk´s "I Mean You", and the Standard "All of You" . On bass was Herbie Lewis, on drums was Louis Hayes, it was in November 1983. Shortly after that concert, Cables recorded together with Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Philly Joe Jones "Four Seasons", where he also played "All of You" and "I Mean You", as much as I remember…..

Screenshot-2020-11-16-182232.jpg

Obviously a Cables favorite, as this really good date proves ....