LF John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman MFSL UDCD 740 CD

Dmitry

Want to acquire the gold MFSL cd in as new condition. I had one years ago, but got seduced by the Japanese Universal Mini lp , and sold the MFSL disc, which I thought sounded better, even though it was a much earlier remaster. And if I remember correctly, the channels were switched between the two cds.

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I "might" have that SACD. Just recently got my hands on a NOS Oppo UDP-203, and it appears that the set up is to be   done through a tv monitor. It automatically selects the CD layer on dual discs. I've got to hook it up to a laptop or a tv to change preferences.

That is true. This link might prove helpful  http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203-faq.html

Also the AV forum has a user group that is worth searching through though it is quite lengthy at this point.  https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-oppo-udp-203-owners-thread.2676801/

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I "might" have that SACD. Just recently got my hands on a NOS Oppo UDP-203, and it appears that the set up is to be   done through a tv monitor. It automatically selects the CD layer on dual discs. I've got to hook it up to a laptop or a tv to change preferences.

I have two UDP-203's. I bought one for the HDR capability and bought the second one when they announced they were exiting the market.

Great players.

I DO have the Hybrid SACD, bought it used at Amoeba in LA 6 or 7  years ago.

Kevin, with your UDP-203, how do you change which layer is to be played on the dual cd/sacd disks? I tried a few buttons on the Oppo remote, and none seem to respond to that task.

Edited by Dmitry

12 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I DO have the Hybrid SACD, bought it used at Amoeba in LA 6 or 7  years ago.

Kevin, with your UDP-203, how do you change which layer is to be played on the dual cd/sacd disks? I tried a few buttons on the Oppo remote, and none seem to respond to that task.

It's a setting in the menus. I'll look to see if there is a way to do it without hooking up a monitor. You're probably going to want to hook it up to a monitor anyway, as you're going to want to set up your speaker configuration.

I hooked up the little $10 flat screen Philips tv I got in a yard sale to the Oppo, and easily changed the preference to SACD for hybrid discs. I'm not sure I need to configure my speakers, since I'm only using the front speakers via RCA cables from the Oppo to preamp. Will read the owner's manual. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, mr jazz said:

That is true. This link might prove helpful  http://watershade.net/wmcclain/UDP-203-faq.html

Also the AV forum has a user group that is worth searching through though it is quite lengthy at this point.  https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-oppo-udp-203-owners-thread.2676801/

Thank you very much for the links, mr jazz. 

You want to make sure is defaults to stereo sacd and if you don't configure your speakers, you may find the stereo speakers lacking in bass. The L & R speakers can be set to "Small" and the subwoofer can be set to on. which shunts the bass frequencies to a non-existent sub. You also want to make sure someone didn't set the distances weird.