Jimi Hendrix - Live in Maui

mjzee

Release date November 20:

81kbWOMhdPL._SL1500_.jpg

Experience Hendrix announces a brand new collection that couples the brand new feature length documentary Music, Money, Madness . . . Jimi Hendrix In Maui with the accompanying live performances on both audio and video. The film chronicles the Jimi Hendrix Experience s storied visit to Maui, their performance on the dormant lower crater of Haleakala volcano on the island and how the band became ensnared with the ill-fated Rainbow Bridge movie produced by their controversial manager Michael Jeffery. Directed by John McDermott and produced by Janie Hendrix, George Scott and McDermott, the documentary incorporates never before released original footage and new interviews with firsthand participants and key players such as Billy Cox, Eddie Kramer, Warner Bros. executives and several Rainbow Bridge cast members, as well as its director Chuck Wein. The Blu-ray will include the full documentary as well as the 16mm color film shot of the two afternoon performances captured on July 30, 1970 mixed in both stereo and 5.1 surround sound. Also included in the package will be Live In Maui both of the aforementioned sets spread across 2 CDs, newly restored and mixed by longtime Jimi Hendrix engineer Eddie Kramer, and mastered by Bernie Grundman. The 2 sets finds The Experience - Hendrix, Billy Cox on bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums - at the height of its powers playing flawlessly against a stunning natural backdrop. Included are breathtaking renditions of crowd favorites like "Foxey Lady," "Purple Haze" and Voodoo Child (Slight Return)," as well as then-unreleased songs like "Dolly Dagger" and "Freedom" that showcased the new direction Hendrix was moving toward.

So I must mention how I came across this.  My wife read in a local online site about someone's pet who went on the Rainbow Bridge.  Not knowing what this was, she Googled it, and sure enough, there's a Wikipedia page for Rainbow Bridge (pets).  This got me to thinking about the Jimi Hendrix movie, so I Googled that.  It mentioned this album coming out.

71dUKhFeJ-L._SL1200_.jpg

I’m sure I’ll end up getting this sooner or later (within a year).

I’ve bought nearly every ‘new’ Hendrix release over the last 15 years, though some were a few years after their release.

I think the only thing I’m lacking is the most recent (nearly)-Complete Band of Gypsies box — which I’ll get around to sooner or later too, I’m sure.

Hendrix was my very, very first really DEEP musical love, who I first discovered around my sophomore and especially my junior year in high school (circa 1985) — and by the time I left to go to college in the fall of 1987, I had something like 45 Hendrix titles in my collection, half of them bootlegs.

My interest in Jimi waned a bit by 1990, but picked back up again around 2005.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think the only thing I’m lacking is the most recent (nearly)-Complete Band of Gypsies box — which I’ll get around to sooner or later too, I’m sure.

It's amazingly good, and surprisingly diverse.  I was on the fence for months, but made the jump and have no regrets.  

10 hours ago, felser said:

It's amazingly good, and surprisingly diverse.  I was on the fence for months, but made the jump and have no regrets.  

Re: the Band of Gypsys box. I think it's a must-have for any Jimi fan. Many tracks have been released in various configurations over the years, the box is something else. It's eye-opening to hear the complete sets and how no song was played the same way twice over the course of the 4 sets.

Other than these 4 shows there really isn't any other 'official' BoG on record. The Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions album is a fun listen, but it's literally a rehearsal and mostly jamming.

On 11/16/2020 at 0:58 AM, BFrank said:

WAY back in the day I bought a bootleg of this show. One of those old generic white covers, but on transparent yellow vinyl.

I remember buying a boot of this concert on vinyl in a store called Record City in Poughkeepsie, New York. It was a headshop also. I can still smell the incense every time I walked into the store. My copy was "lent out" many years ago never to be returned. I might have to get this now,