London Jazz Festival 2020 - virtual

mjazzg

I've thought that a good job has been done by all programming this given the circumstances. Relying on largely homegrown talent or 'borrowed' streams from other international festivals there's been some interesting listens, many of which are still to be had on the festival's YouTube site.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKhBSRjqz3TIBC-W5Lz7Mw

Highlights for me have been,

Lithuanian Jazz Festival stream - some great music from unknown to me artists
Emma-Jean Thackray - mixing Miles BB period with dance influences, very successfully
Hedvig Mollestad & Trondheim Jazz Orchestra - Molde Jazz Festival.  Clever writing for larger ensemble even if a couple of times I thought it needed a roger Dean cover.
Sarathy Korwar stream - I think this guy's a big talent, this stream showed why I think
Nathaniel Facey/Gary Crosby - Tribute to Bird - fiery stuff

and still to come on my radar,

Irreversible Entanglements - my favourite contemporary Jazz group
Binker Golding with Olie Brice and Steve Noble - I'm interested to hear him in this company
Brice in a trio with Tom Challenger from the Vortex
A session of Turkish psychedelic Jazz - whatever that is, I'm interested to find out

Edited by mjazzg

4 hours ago, ejp626 said:

About halfway through dusk sets in but you have a solid hour of music in the sun. 

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction in the first place.

Watching this now. I'm very taken by Baba Zulu, the trio with the electric Saz.  I'd heard one of their albums recently and live they're even better.  Can't believe they played Café Oto last year - not really a surprise as it's located in an area of significant Turkish population.