CDs that are unreadable

bebopbob

Anyone have any thoughts as to why authentic (not CD-R burns) made within the last 10-15 years do not read and cannot be played on a regular compact disc player? I recently bought  two such discs brand new that do not play. Any similar experiences?

The CDs are:

Keith Saunders - Lost in Queens (TCB- Montreux Jazz Label)

Oliver Jones- Skip Bay: Then and Now  (Justin Time)

Thanks,

Bob

If bebopbob says this hapened on brand new CDs to him then this is odd, though.

I have had a possibly related case that I found hard to explain: A brand new CD (released just before I bought it, so no "NOS" ;))  consistently skipped and garbled (skipping to and fro on a particular track) on the same track whenever I tried to play it - despite numerous tries (a check of the CD player did not yield anything wrong). Trying to save the contents, I then burnt a CD-R of it on my PC and this one has played perfectly ever since. Strangely enough, the actual CD behaved OK again when I spun it later (much later) again.

I have had a few where there was clearly some problem with the mastering of the last track (crazy digital artifacts and skipping).  Fairly common particularly with PD labels releasing CDs with 75+ minutes of music. 

Astonishingly enough, once in a while these problems persist even when streaming on iTunes, so did they actually just rip their own CDs to create the version stored on iTunes?  Completely baffling.

Disc #3 of Craft's The Complete Cuban Jam Sessions would not play on any of my machines after a few minutes.  There was no visible gouge or other identifiable defect.  Because it would not play on any computer's CD drive, I couldn't make a copy of it.  I wound up downloading that disc on mp3 from Amazon.