Albums with vibes and trombone, featured heavily together

mjazzg

So I'm listening to Teddy Charles's 'New Directions' which has some great interaction between Charles and Brookmeyer.  Grachan Moncur's work with Bobby Hutcherson on 'Evolution' and the Jackie McLean albums are some of of my all time favourites and features the same instrumental combination.

Any other suggestions?  Preferably recordings of small groups not larger ensembles where the two instruments aren't so prominent.

I was just thinking about this last week after getting Marty Paich's Jazz City Workshop, with Larry Bunker on vibes and the mellifluous Herbie Harper on trombone.  It led me to listen to the Nocturne box (the two discs I own), which has a Harry Babasin date with Bunker on vibes and Bob Enevoldsen on valve trombone.

My first idea was Miles Davis Blue Moods with  Britt Woodman on trombone and Teddy Charles on vibes plus a world class rhythm section (Charles Mingus, Elvin Jones)... most of the involved musicians can also be heard to great advantage on even better albums... but the sound of the band is kind of unique

1 minute ago, Niko said:

My first idea was Miles Davis Blue Moods with  Britt Woodman on trombone and Teddy Charles on vibes plus a world class rhythm section (Charles Mingus, Elvin Jones)... most of the involved musicians can also be heard to great advantage on even better albums... but the sound of the band is kind of unique

A strangely dour - but atmospheric - album.

56 minutes ago, Niko said:

Excellent ....

50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

How about Ralph Peterson ‘Introducing the Fo’tet’ on Blue Note? You get some good interaction on there between Bryan Carrott and Frank Lacy. Don Byron completes the front line.

Yes, that's good 'un

45 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

83d700ade8c526b9bbefed41793d54bb.jpg

Thanks for the reminder of that one, needs to come off the shelf