looking for: 30's jazz recommendations

thank you!  looking for: 30's jazz recomendations, a couple points:

strictly lp releases, 10" and 12".  

*Aircheck lps of particular interest (dozens+ of labels from the 70s- my favorite right now is "jazz archives"....)

let me show you what i got today to give you an idea: 2 aircheck lps  and a lot of 78-comps

s-l1600.jpg    61BcQy-wCNL._SL1200_.jpg  s-l1600.jpg R-3534765-1592930843-3445.jpeg.jpg R-4745994-1378652533-5660.jpeg.jpg R-12869203-1543516703-4538.jpeg.jpg R-4388051-1363545392-8408.jpeg.jpg

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

4 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Not sure I'd recommend old Decca Jazz Heritage LPs, Chewy. The "reprocessed for stereo" sound on those is awful even if the covers are kind of cool.

gregmo

oh for sure, only going for the mono ones- not all have a mono counterpart i dont think, which is frusterating

----

thanks everyone

god i already went ahead and got the import versions lionel hampton on french rca "hamptons best" series vols 1-3 which covers up to 1939 and vol 4 is 39-40, they all were real cheap, then on top of that do have the mosaic as flac so if i wanna go session by sesion i could go that route, seperate out sesssion by session and really sit down and listen.  theres a few digital stages but the victor doesnt really realise that it just sounds fantastic, after you get out the thing out of yr head its a digital stage, if you get past that, nothing can top it

well of course something can top it have you guys ever heard of an EH scott.  its a 40 tube radio.  beyond anything victor or zenith ever put out- its like the macintosh of the 30s

Oh my ... Where to start and where to end ...

Particularly after all that zigzagging of recommendations already listed above (hard to avoid duplications of recommendations and of contents now) ...

First of all, I assume you do not want to end in 1939 sharp but are referring to ´the SWING ERA.

And since you mention them I'd recommend ALL of the Jazz Archives LPs. The DO fill gaps in a useful way ... (But not all of them are airshots or live recordings)
Also take a close look at the entire U.S. RCA Bluebird twofer series from the 70s.
And while you are at RCA (and not knowing to what extent imports are available in your neck of the woods), if you go for the black cover single LPs from the French RCA "Black and White" series, check the avilability of the (somewhat more recent) French RCA JAZ TRIBUNE "Black and White" DOUBLE LPs first. The contents of the two reissue series overlap and duplicate but somehow I find the Jazz Tribune twofers better organized/programmed.

When you dive into Decca/Brunswick territory, check out the later 70s/80s Jazz Heritage LP series on MCA (both US and French pressings are around).

Some of my perennial favorites overall:

39941496lw.jpg

A killer all the way!

39941499nt.jpg

39941500lc.jpg

39941501dp.jpg

Somewhat overlooked but very impressive. The two Black & White albums will give you their entire output whereas the Vintage Series LP has a fine selection of the essentials. Depends, then, on which is available easily at the right price for you.

39941513ts.jpg

A very fine compilation

39941575yo.jpg

Another unsung hero (to me anyway ...)

Also check out some of the V.A. albums/box sets that must be around. They can serve as appetizers for more specific explorations and also often include recordings off the beaten (pun intended ;)) tracks that you are not that likely to find elsewhere.

39941527ug.jpg

And this one (available in various reissue guises) is essential listening, even if it also goes back into the 20s.

39941536tq.jpg

39941537vo.jpg

And of course ANY Decca/Columbia Count Basie (reissue pressings too numerous to mention - he is covered in the MCA Jazz Heritage series too, among count(pun again intended :D) less others). For a starter, I like the one below for its period-correct artwork (duplicating a 78 album)

39941546sh.jpg

Next up, if you can find them, get the FATS WALLER reissues on French RCA (Black & White) - two box sets and numerous LPs. These would be the easiest way to avoid too many duplications among the many reissues that have been released through the decades.

On the "whiter" side, I have a soft spot for CHARLIE BARNET (the RCA Bluebird twofers are your safest bet), JAN SAVITT (Yes I know, tastes differ ... he has a handful of LPs on that much-maligned older 60s MCA Heritage series and on Bandstand, Sounds of Swing a.o.), and ARTIE SHAW (RCA Bluebird twofers again ...).

And for some good-natured entertaining 52nd Street fun, do try these (there are FOUR vols. by Prima  there - all recommendable):

39941591vf.jpg

And all this still is only the tip of the iceberg (as others will confirm ...).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

25 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

The Smithsonian Ellington collections.

Image result for Duke Ellington 1938 smithsonianImage result for Duke Ellington 1939 smithsonian

Hell yeah.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

get lucky and find a half-price where somebody has dumped their Time-Life Giants of Jazz collection, the ones in the Silver boxes. They should go cheap.

http://www.bsnpubs.com/warner/time-life/07giantsofjazz/07giantsofjazz.html

Make sure the liner essays are in there.

Yeah, those Time-Life sets are great. ... If you buy them one-by-one, be sure to get the James P. Johnson set right out of the gate.   It may be my favorite entry in the entire series.

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Unknown.jpeg

Coincidentally, I just got this two-LP set a month or two ago.  Magnificent.  :tup 

In my experience, you can hardly go wrong with any of the French Columbia or French RCA sets that cover this era.

Edited by HutchFan