Renee Rosnes

jazzbo

Just so everyone knows, all of Renee's CDs, with the exception of the first two, are available at her website. Some of them are oop in the US. $16, including shipping and it's autographed.

I highly recommend "For the Moment". Joe Henderson plays beautifully on this. I think my favorite leader-date of her's is "As We Are Now".

As a sideman, or sidewoman in this case, she shines on JJ Johnson's "Heroes". I also like her on a little-known Soul Note CD from drummer Klaus Suonsaari called "Inside Out". Walt Weiskopf's "Anytown" (Criss Cross) is also worth seeking out, although more so for Weiskopf than Renee... it's just a very good CD with Renee's contributions.

Looking at Renee's discography, I see several CDs on my want list. I should look to fill those one of these days.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

If anyone has a copy of the Japanese-only Somethin' Else album "Face To Face" from 1989 I will be very interested in getting some additional details for the Renee Rosnes discography on my website.

Thanks!

Mike

I picked up a copy of this for a fellow board member. He still has it. I'll let him know you're looking for this.

Kevin

I have by what is now a long OOP CD on the French Arco label. Titled "Punjab", it is a live date, November '86, led by Joe Henderson in which the rhythm section consists entirely of women: Renee Rosnes, Marlene Rosenberg and Sylvia Quenca. Offhand, I believe Rosnes' first name on the CD is listed as Irene. I'll go fish it out and give it a listen within the next day or two.

I like her too and you guys have pointed out some good recordings of hers and I have nothing to add there.

I do want to tell a littlle story to show what a classy person she is.

She had published a transcription in Downbeat a few years ago ( I think it was Downbeat) with some explanation of how a solo worked.

I had some questions about the explanation thinking maybe the editors had screwed up a point and called the mag. They said they had no idea what I was talking about but would pass my questions on to Renee.

A couple of hours later the phone rang and it was Renee. I almost fell out of my chair!!!

She nicely and very clearly answered my questions.

One of my favorite examples of Renee's playing is on the trio CD under Todd Coolman's name

titled "Tomorrows" on the BRC label.

I also have a very nice commercially issued videotape titled Renee Rosnes - Jazz Pianist.

It has Larry Grenadier on bass and Billy Drummond on drums. It was put out by Rhapsody Films.

Peter F

Just so everyone knows, all of Renee's CDs, with the exception of the first two, are available at her website. Some of them are oop in the US. $16, including shipping and it's autographed.

I highly recommend "For the Moment". Joe Henderson plays beautifully on this. I think my favorite leader-date of her's is "As We Are Now".

As a sideman, or sidewoman in this case, she shines on JJ Johnson's "Heroes". I also like her on a little-known Soul Note CD from drummer Klaus Suonsaari called "Inside Out". Walt Weiskopf's "Anytown" (Criss Cross) is also worth seeking out, although more so for Weiskopf than Renee... it's just a very good CD with Renee's contributions.

Looking at Renee's discography, I see several CDs on my want list. I should look to fill those one of these days.

Kevin

I thoroughly agree with your assessment of FOR THE MOMENT. The version of "Summer Night" that she does with Joe is my all time favorite of that terrific tune. They really cook on it with Renee coming across very Corea-ish (acoustically of course). :tup

The second Cd "Deep Cove" listed on her website is a 2003 CBC recording by the Ryga/Rosnes Quartet. (Campbell Ryga is a Canadian saxophonist). I picked it up yesterday and it is excellent in every way. Superb sound. Wonderful playing and writing by Renee (and the others), plus a couple of standards. Not to be missed.

• 10 months later...

Late to the party, but it's a great one... I'll have to track down some of the titles mentioned above. Listening right now to ART AND SOUL and just pulled TAKE YOUR PICK from our station library.

Check out Walt Weiskop's 'Anytown' on Criss Cross (with Joe Locke) for some more great playing by RR.

Is she still recording for Blue Note? It seems like it's been awhile.

I saw her with Joe Henderson in the mid-90's. Great show, and I was very impressed with Renee. :tup

I caught this band in a nearby town - Joe's all girl quartet - except for himself, of course. Renee was the best "girl" in the band.

Her albums are very good, but I enjoy her the most on her husband Billy Drummond's records.

• 4 months later...