Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I realize tomorrow is an American holiday but I saw a tweet by a guy who calls himself Ken Tremendous - I am almost certain he is one of the guys who used to rip Joe Morgan as a baseball commentator - anyway his attitude toward Thanksgiving is ... something. Something so outside of my reality I can't begin to grasp it. Read the whole thread then take the poll!

We love Thanksgiving.  This year, it'll be just the 3 of us plus a cousin from Austin, but I bought a 16-lb turkey from Costco.  The plan is: debone the turkey into 4 quadrants (see: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/turkey-butchery-how-to-separate-breasts-thighs).  Cook 1 or 2 quadrants with some combination of sous vide and oven (with quinoa stuffing underneath), 1 or 2 quadrants on the smoker, and 1 in the deep fryer.  My wife makes great cranberry sauce using fresh cranberries.  We'll have baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes, maybe some leafy vegetable, maybe start with some chicken soup.  End with chocolate pecan pie (filling is homemade, pie shell is store-bought).  Since this is an absurd amount of food, we may prepare care packages for friends who are too scared to socialize.

My wife (mostly) and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow with my 92 year old mom and my sister's family only.  we'll see how it goes.  there will be eight people and I'm not that worried about it, I guess.  we'll distance,  have lots of fresh air and see how it goes.  Everybody coming has been fairly isolated so think risk is minimal.  My brother's family is staying home because two of his family work at a local hospital.  Probably smart.  

Thanksgiving is easily my favorite holiday in a "normal" year.  Family, food traditions, and determination to drink/serve the best wine possible.  This year it's just the two of us...everyone else is either in college, high school, or physically compromised. This will forever remain in my memory as the year without a Thanksgiving/Christmas/and most likely New Years.  Still gonna raid the celler and drink nothing but "Great".  Stay safe and strong my friends.  We will be contributing to those in the neighborhood needing assistance...but raise a glass and say a prayer for your neighbors who seem to be doing well.  I'm going to hope and pray that this is ending soon and we will be reading historical books about it for the rest of our lives.  Cheers!