Past Daily Music Archive

Dan Gould

Has anyone heard of this site? Seems to be a veritable ton of audio from radio archives (most or all from some cat named Gordon Skene(?)) and while I can't tell what is super rare, what trades among collectors or on Dime, the collection seems mind-blowing.  Here's a link to one search, you should check it out. Especially since all posts have direct links to the MP3 files so you can just right click and save if you wish, or use the player.

https://pastdaily.com/?s=jazz

I should note the ones with just an audio player can't be downloaded but the ones with a link (the name of the artist/concert) are direct mp3 links that can be saved.

I think I snatched about 20 or so, and there were another six I need to stream to record, including a Ben Webster/Kenny Drew recording from 1965 that I don't recognize. 

Edit to add:  I am going to go out on a limb and say this has not seen commercial release or if it has I don't know about it. Not ringing any bells and sparkling Kenny Drew and still vibrant Ben:

https://pastdaily.com/2020/08/23/ben-webster-quartet-live-in-copenhagen-1965-past-daily-downbeat/

Edited by Dan Gould

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Here's a strong but short (<30 minutes) Booker Ervin with Pim and Ruud Jacobs and Han Bennink:

https://pastdaily.com/2014/10/12/booker-ervin-quartet-in-session-at-hilversum-1966-past-daily-downbeat/

:wub:

sadly only the first track is listenable; the rest devolves into digital fuzz. Probably burned onto a disc that rotted. Bummer.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

:wub:

sadly only the first track is listenable; the rest devolves into digital fuzz. Probably burned onto a disc that rotted. Bummer.

Huh? I had clicked the link and chose 'save as' and downloaded the MP3 and it played fine. That was a couple of weeks ago so I just tried again - still sounds fine.

17 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

That Toronto radio show from Nov 1953 on the site is pretty neat - and fascinating. 

Which one was that SW?

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Huh? I had clicked the link and chose 'save as' and downloaded the MP3 and it played fine. That was a couple of weeks ago so I just tried again - still sounds fine.

Which one was that SW?

It is a show called ‘Jazz Unlimited’ - there are a few 1953 shows on the site. In surprisingly OK sound for paper based tape. The one I was listening to featured new releases - one being Art Pepper’s ‘Mucho Calor’. John Kirby featured on one of the other shows. Like time travel.

‘Sauter-Finnegan Orchestra coming up in performance at the Toronto Islands’ !

Edited by sidewinder

25 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

‘Sauter-Finnegan Orchestra coming up in performance at the Toronto Islands’ !

Reminds me of the Three Sounds/Nancy Wilson release of a show at a club in St Louis in 1960 or so ... on the out announcement the upcoming act is "Lou Donaldson featuring Stanley Turrentine" ... It's like, why couldn't the tapes be rolling on that one?

7 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I'm getting staggered glitches after about 11:00, digital scramble, in both streaming and downloaded versions. 

The link to the full jazz archive is here.

My problem with Past Daily is that the archive is not in any kind of order, alphabetical or whatever.  You can run searches on it or page through it.  I've done the latter and it takes awhile...the pages come up slowly. The search function on the site is...clunky.

The Rollins-Roach-Merrit Stockholm 1966 date I mentioned in another thread is on this site.  I considered that to be a real find.  I've not seen that date anywhere else.

There's also an interesting date by the Blue Notes from 1964 at Rondebosch Town Hall in SA.

The Blakey San Remo date is on youtube.  There are, I believe, several versions including at least one with a lengthy introduction (in Italian) by the mc.

The Booker Ervin date is out there on the circuit.  No need to settle for iffy MP3's.

Past Daily is not what I would call a go-to site but it's worth the occasional perusal if you have the time and the inclination and you've run out of other options for whatever you're looking for.

On 12/13/2020 at 0:12 AM, clifford_thornton said:

I'm getting staggered glitches after about 11:00, digital scramble, in both streaming and downloaded versions. 

That is really weird. I just extracted my burn of the d/l so I could examine the wav form. I've listened to about 20:00 so far and I heard exactly two, barely there pops.

Scanning the wav form for the entire set I see nothing obviously damaged.

Edit  to add: I've listened to the whole thing now and confirm on my d/l that there are those two small "tick" sounds I mentioned.

If you want to PM me your email I will send you my wav file for your enjoyment.

Edited by Dan Gould