Thanks for posting that.  A very interesting article could (and should) be written about Miles's relationship with Chicago - how it influenced him, who he drew from there.  The Jack Chambers bio of Miles mentioned quite a few things, such as he always played Chicago around Christmastime so he could visit his sister who lived there.

20 hours ago, felser said:

I really like those Wolf and Muddy albums where Cosey lets loose.  Some critics hate them but the point is they aren't blues albums per se.

That's a good point. Basically psychedelic rock albums with Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf singing over them for some reason. I always though Cosey's playing was the better part of both of those albums. 

Thanks for posting.  The Howlin Wolf quote about the 'bow wow' pedal had me laughing out loud.  

I know I have a couple Power Tools cds around as well as Miles in India and the Miles trilogy Dark Magus/Pangaea/Agharta.  I will give them a careful listen this weekend.

Edited by Michael

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:11 AM, felser said:

I really like those Wolf and Muddy albums where Cosey lets loose.  Some critics hate them but the point is they aren't blues albums per se.

Electric Mud in particular just works. I get the objections/reservation of all parties (including Muddy), but Muddy Waters singing is going to carry damn near anything, any time, this being no exception.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:51 PM, sambrasa said:

The photograph claims "onstage with Miles Davis in Japan," but surely the band with Badal Roy and Lonnie Liston Smith never toured Japan?

Nope.  Roy, Smith and Khalil Balakrishna left the band just before the 1973 Japanese tour.

The photo would have been from a US gig between January and May 1973, during which the 10-musician lineup existed.

Edited by Guy Berger

2 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Nope.  Roy, Smith and Khalil Balakrishna left the band just before the 1973 Japanese tour.

The photo would have been from a US gig between January and May 1973, during which the 10-musician lineup existed.

Cosey joined the band in April, so most likely that month. It may be from the Howard University concert.

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

Electric Mud in particular just works. I get the objections/reservation of all parties (including Muddy), but Muddy Waters singing is going to carry damn near anything, any time, this being no exception.

Never worked for me.  I like Cosey just fine with Miles and love Muddy, but totally don't mix IMHO.

Works for me as an imagining of Muddy being the logos from which sprang both Hendrix, Funkadelic, all the REAL (ie - BLACK) post-"rock and roll" "rock".

Of course, it's just a concept (but hell, the label was Cadet Concept!), but it's one that resonates strongly for me. So much psychedelic and "blues-rock" was lacking in chops and/or DEEP feeling, a lot of it was over-dosed on stupidity and gullibility. Well, this does not have that problem. Not even a speck of it.

It helped me to stop listening to it as a "Muddy Waters record" and to just imagine it as some lysergic macro-deity coming out of the infinite ether to let you know what was there, whether you and the rest of the world wanted to accept it or not.

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd like to see that thing where Chuck D does the album. I like Chuck D pretty much.

I’ve always loved the timbre of Chuck D’s voice. I can’t say I have a ton of rap in my collection, but Public Enemy has always been high on my list, and I had a lot of respect for them back as early as the late 80’s.

I also loved the density of their production — none of which made any ‘sense’ — but just hit me (aurally) in a way that always seemed interesting and challenging.

And the richness of Chuck D’s baritone seemed way more musical to me than most rappers back then, and even now.

Wasn´t Muddy Waters together with Miles on a tour in autumn 1986. I mean they didn´t Play together, it was just that Miles´band (then playing all the stuff from Tutu) played first and Muddy Waters second.

I remember the Miles Thing very well, but not so much About Muddy Waters, that is not so really what I usually listen to, R&B or what it is….

I was astonished that Miles played first , but later learned that he Always played first when he was booked on a bill with other musicians, because he didn´t want to wait...

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Wasn´t Muddy Waters together with Miles on a tour in autumn 1986. I mean they didn´t Play together, it was just that Miles´band (then playing all the stuff from Tutu) played first and Muddy Waters second.

I remember the Miles Thing very well, but not so much About Muddy Waters, that is not so really what I usually listen to, R&B or what it is….

I was astonished that Miles played first , but later learned that he Always played first when he was booked on a bill with other musicians, because he didn´t want to wait...

Muddy Waters died in 1983. I believe there was a Muddy Waters tribute band consisting of former band members.