BFT 201 - Link and Discussion

felser

Here is the link to BFT 201.   13 selections, recorded between 1956 and 1996.  Even my friend Dan Gould may like a couple of them:D.   Just under 80 minutes.    #12 is more a point of personal privilege, reflecting my mood (though I sadly know the answer to the question it asks), rather than something to stump or excite the crew, but it's only 3 minutes long.  I would have normally put it last, but I don't think any song could bear the weight of following the last cut, #13.  Looking forward to your thoughts on these!

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

Edited by felser

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Me likey (that's one).  The solos, particularly the tenor, start at a place where greater intensity is almost inevitable, but none of them crossed the line for my sensitive ears ... Is this Ibrahim? I have started to explore some of his recordings especially the ones with folks like Blue Mitchell in the mix.

2. Didn't mind this one though probably don't have to hear it again but sort of dug the guitar.

3. Just OK for me ...

4. Liking this one a good deal - but no guesses. 

5.  Finally I can say with great exasperation NEXT! :g

Skipping ahead ..

8. Oh man this annoys me, the title is right there but can't ID. Should have waited for someone to chime in with that bit of info. Anyway, best track of all. Is that Art Farmer?

9. From best to worst. :huh: You just couldn't program something in between, bring me down slow, could you? :P

11. Miles?

13. Curious to know the significance but it sure as hell ain't my thang.  Do I surprise or disappoint? :g

Well I would say overall I ended up above your expected "couple of tracks" so ... does this become an over/under for January?

1.     This is good.  It has a bit of the Latin tinge.  The tenor player reminds me of Joe Henderson.

2.     That definitely sounds like Kenny Burrell.  I don’t usually gravitate toward his stuff with orchestral backing, but not a bad little tune.  Wow, he inserts a bit of “So Little Time” near the end.

3.     “Tempus Fugit,” I believe. A classic bebop piece…but I have never before heard this version, which is creative and mostly stays  away from the melody.  The pianist likes the bass register.

4.     “Johnny Come Lately.”  Pretty cool.  It has a modern swing feel…quite different from the Ellington style.

5.     Guitar-organ-drums.  Not bad.  The guitarist seems to have a Grant Green influence, but sounds too mechanical to my ears.

11. Jim Hall, one of the all-time great guitarists.  Actually I think that’s Art Farmer on trumpet (or flugelhorn). I think it’s a track from To Sweden with Love.    

And #8 sounds like Kenny Dorham to me.  I thought I had this one in my collection, or certainly something very similar.  Maybe it's not Dorham, though I know he did this piece...and I can't think of the title either!

1 - oh yeah. sounds like some Charles Tolliver/Music Inc type vibes here. Love the composition and the playing all around. Great tune. The break at about 6:28 or so is super sweet. 

2 - Lovely guitar led track. Sounds like a familiar tune...and multiple brass players add some layers too. Total shift of gears at 2:20 is nice.

3 - No clue who this pianist is. Like how they built the song from the lower keys. 

4 - Another good one. Nice trumpet lead. 

5 - B3 & guitar is a great recipe for music. Fantastic song here. 

6 - Killer track after killer track. Love the brass attack here. The piano floats along too. Solos are good, just an all around fun track. 

7 - Kind of similar to track 6 in certain ways. Great trumpet lead off and the ensemble plays really well the whole time. Bass player is flying too. Piano comping gets a bit distracting at times, maybe it's the recording though. 

8 - Has a 60s BN feel to it. Nice trumpet opening. Strong melody. 

9 - Great song. Nice build up to when they let loose but stay in that laid back funky groove. Guessing the bass player is the lead here?

10 - Familiar head on this one...love the big band version of it. Yeah, when the woodwinds come in it's a burner. Nice track. Drummer is on fire and is totally on the left side of this recording. Makes me want to guess Buddy Rich but could be another drummer lead with this kind of profiling. 

11 - Noticing no piano but with guitar instead...but nice groove from the drums and bass. Trio like when it's just the trumpet with them. Very good song. Nifty quartet setting of guitar, drums, bass and trumpet. 

12 - Timmy Thomas' Why Can't We Live Together. So freaking good. Soulful with that percussion & organ. Love this track. 

13 - Love the flute and the slow build up to the massive groove this track has. 

Not a bad track here. Lots of favorites too. Thanks for this one!

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

1. Me likey (that's one).  The solos, particularly the tenor, start at a place where greater intensity is almost inevitable, but none of them crossed the line for my sensitive ears ... Is this Ibrahim? I have started to explore some of his recordings especially the ones with folks like Blue Mitchell in the mix. Actually surprised you like this one!  Not anyone you named.

2. Didn't mind this one though probably don't have to hear it again but sort of dug the guitar.

3. Just OK for me ...

4. Liking this one a good deal - but no guesses.  

5.  Finally I can say with great exasperation NEXT! :g

I thought #6 would be up your alley.

Skipping ahead ..

8. Oh man this annoys me, the title is right there but can't ID. Should have waited for someone to chime in with that bit of info. Anyway, best track of all. Is that Art Farmer?

Not Farmer, but yes, you likely are familiar with this.

9. From best to worst. :huh: You just couldn't program something in between, bring me down slow, could you? :P

11. Miles?  Nope, but well known player.

13. Curious to know the significance but it sure as hell ain't my thang.  Do I surprise or disappoint? :g  Neither on this :)

Well I would say overall I ended up above your expected "couple of tracks" so ... does this become an over/under for January?  It does!

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Track 2: Kenny Burrell? Yes

Track 4: A tune I know so well, but of course I can't put a name to it. :(  We all experience that on these BFT's :D

Track 10: Oliver Nelson, Afro American Sketches Yes

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

1.     This is good.  It has a bit of the Latin tinge.  The tenor player reminds me of Joe Henderson.  Not Henderson, but a board favorite.

2.     That definitely sounds like Kenny Burrell.  I don’t usually gravitate toward his stuff with orchestral backing, but not a bad little tune.  Wow, he inserts a bit of “So Little Time” near the end.  Yes, Burrell.

3.     “Tempus Fugit,” I believe. A classic bebop piece…but I have never before heard this version, which is creative and mostly stays  away from the melody.  The pianist likes the bass register. Yes they do, and you have the tune correct.

4.     “Johnny Come Lately.”  Pretty cool.  It has a modern swing feel…quite different from the Ellington style. Yep

5.     Guitar-organ-drums.  Not bad.  The guitarist seems to have a Grant Green influence, but sounds too mechanical to my ears.  The guitarist is the best known player in the group by a longshot.

11. Jim Hall, one of the all-time great guitarists.  Actually I think that’s Art Farmer on trumpet (or flugelhorn). I think it’s a track from To Sweden with Love.    Yes, wasn't sure if people knew this album, which is a gem.  I avoided it for decades based on false expectations, and that was my loss.

And #8 sounds like Kenny Dorham to me.  I thought I had this one in my collection, or certainly something very similar.  Maybe it's not Dorham, though I know he did this piece...and I can't think of the title either!  It's Dorham.

47 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Listening at work as "background. So far, can identify Don Ellis and Joe Harriot records "by ear". Everything crackles, for sure!

Shafi Hadi on tenor

Ellis and Harriott are correct.  No Hadi on any of these cuts that I'm aware of.  Which cut did you have in mind for him?

38 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Mal Waldron?

Unmistakably Oliver.

Waldron as a sideman.  Yes, Oliver, unmistakenly.

41 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

1 - oh yeah. sounds like some Charles Tolliver/Music Inc type vibes here. Love the composition and the playing all around. Great tune. The break at about 6:28 or so is super sweet.  Glad you like this!  Little-known gem.

2 - Lovely guitar led track. Sounds like a familiar tune...and multiple brass players add some layers too. Total shift of gears at 2:20 is nice.

3 - No clue who this pianist is. Like how they built the song from the lower keys. 

4 - Another good one. Nice trumpet lead. 

5 - B3 & guitar is a great recipe for music. Fantastic song here. 

6 - Killer track after killer track. Love the brass attack here. The piano floats along too. Solos are good, just an all around fun track. 

7 - Kind of similar to track 6 in certain ways. Great trumpet lead off and the ensemble plays really well the whole time. Bass player is flying too. Piano comping gets a bit distracting at times, maybe it's the recording though. 

8 - Has a 60s BN feel to it. Nice trumpet opening. Strong melody.   Reason for the feel, but it's neither 60's nor BN.

9 - Great song. Nice build up to when they let loose but stay in that laid back funky groove. Guessing the bass player is the lead here?  Nope.  This will likely be the most interesting reveal in the entire BFT.

10 - Familiar head on this one...love the big band version of it. Yeah, when the woodwinds come in it's a burner. Nice track. Drummer is on fire and is totally on the left side of this recording. Makes me want to guess Buddy Rich but could be another drummer lead with this kind of profiling.  Not drummer-led.

11 - Noticing no piano but with guitar instead...but nice groove from the drums and bass. Trio like when it's just the trumpet with them. Very good song. Nifty quartet setting of guitar, drums, bass and trumpet. 

12 - Timmy Thomas' Why Can't We Live Together. So freaking good. Soulful with that percussion & organ. Love this track. Me too.

13 - Love the flute and the slow build up to the massive groove this track has.  Thanks, this is an all-time favorite of mine.

Not a bad track here. Lots of favorites too. Thanks for this one!  Thank you for listening and responding!

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Timmy!

I love that song. Still, maybe more than ever.

So do Dub Modal and I.  I also like it by Sade and by Steve Winwood, but this, the original is the one.

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

the one that's JR Monterose instead?

Yep, that one.

Went back to the KB track ... disappointed I didn't think more about it and come up with KB - but the accompaniment is what detracted from the track. I am guessing from one of the Verve recordings?

Listened again to 6 ... again too busy on the second pass. Nothing grabbed me, I'm 'fraid.

Thanks again Mr. Felser, now I'm re-evaluating my choices to see if I can at least get a "push" in January. :g

1 minute ago, Dan Gould said:

Went back to the KB track ... disappointed I didn't think more about it and come up with KB - but the accompaniment is what detracted from the track. I am guessing from one of the Verve recordings?

Listened again to 6 ... again too busy on the second pass. Nothing grabbed me, I'm 'fraid.

Thanks again Mr. Felser, now I'm re-evaluating my choices to see if I can at least get a "push" in January. :g

Mr. Gould, the KB is not a Verve, but same general era.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

KB/Big-band, not Verve, is that the Richard Evans thing on Cadet? Just guessing.

Yep.

6 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Then I'll have to guess it's off of Ode to 52nd St, which has a couple of tracks close on the timing.

It is.

4 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Is the Dorham track "Monaco"?  I have a version that is a lot more sprightly.

It is, but by a completely different name on this album.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That last one is Hubert Laws & Ron Carter (dive-bombing!) but I'll be damned if I can remember what record that is.

Neither!

4 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I've never heard Burrell in a big band setting, so that's a new one. 

It's a good album.  First side especially.