BFT 201 - Link and Discussion

felser

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it's not Nathan Davis, he's one of those guys who only really swings at double-or-up tempos....nothing wrong with that, necessarily, but I've not known Nathan Davis to have been one of those type players. so...back to alternating between Google and work IMs...

Ok, let's try this one: https://www.discogs.com/ja/Klaus-Weiss-Quintet-On-Tour/release/10085461

The thing about it is that Mal Waldron is unmistakable, everybody else....not so much.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Glad it's not Nathan Davis, he's one of those guys who only really swings at double-or-up tempos....nothing wrong with that, necessarily, but I've not known Nathan Davis to have been one of those type players. so...back to alternating between Google and work IMs...

Ok, let's try this one: https://www.discogs.com/ja/Klaus-Weiss-Quintet-On-Tour/release/10085461

Not it, though that sounds like a good listen!   

Ok, dammit, found it: https://www.discogs.com/Sangoma-Everett-Chico-Freeman-Mal-Waldron-Cecil-McBee-The-Courage-To-Listen-To-Your-Heart/release/9680455

Chico Freeman, there ya' go. David Murray syndrome, 8th note phrasing gets weird, and the tone is not consistent. When it's all good, it's all good. But it's not always all good.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

Ok, dammit, found it: https://www.discogs.com/Sangoma-Everett-Chico-Freeman-Mal-Waldron-Cecil-McBee-The-Courage-To-Listen-To-Your-Heart/release/9680455

Chico Freeman, there ya' go. David Murray syndrome, 8th note phrasing gets weird, and the tone is not consistent. When it's all good, it's all good. But it's not always all good.

You got it.  I stumbled into this one in an online bargain bin.  I know nothing else about Sangoma Everett, who is in quite the company on this one.  You still need to get #13!  

Trying not to look at your guys' replies.

So far I've listened to the first 4 tracks -

1.1970s big band. A Latin-spirited, driving beat. Keyboardist could've been more interesting. Overall - I like it a lot.

2.Kenny Burrell. I am a fan, just not of this cut.

3.Late 1950s-early 1960s feel. A very talented classically-trained pianist, maybe Bill Evans.

4. A Blue Note style mid-1960s sound.

3 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Trying not to look at your guys' replies.

So far I've listened to the first 4 tracks -

1.1970s big band. A Latin-spirited, driving beat. Keyboardist could've been more interesting. Overall - I like it a lot.  
More a mid-sized group.  You have the decade correct.

2.Kenny Burrell. I am a fan, just not of this cut.  

3.Late 1950s-early 1960s feel. A very talented classically-trained pianist, maybe Bill Evans.  Not well-known on the level of an Evans, but indeed a very talented and well-trained pianist.  Recording date is actually much later.

4. A Blue Note style mid-1960s sound.  This will be an interesting ID.  You have the decade correct.

Here is current status.

Artist and album (or cut) identified - 2,9,10,11,12

Artist identified, but not album or cut - 8

No ID explicitly linked to cut yet - 1,3,4,5,6,7,13

General artists ID'd - Don Ellis, Trudy Pitts/Pat Martino, Joe Harriott

I am most surprised that there is no sort of ID on #6 yet!

Track 8 is "Tahitian Suite" (aka "Monaco") by Kenny Dorham, from his ABC-Paramount album "Kenny Dorham and The Jazz Prophets Vol. 1."

I now have this album as a Japanese CD, but originally had it as part of this twofer:

a.jpg

Edited by mjzee

1 minute ago, felser said:

Indeed it is.  Wasn't sure if people would be familiar with Pitts at this late date.

I'll always remember Trudy Pitts because I used to work in a jazz record store with Danny Davis (of Sun Ra "fame"), who I guess was a Philadelphia guy, and he always said the name "Trudy Pitts" like it was the punchline to a bad joke.

Just now, mjzee said:

I'll always remember Trudy Pitts because I used to work in a jazz record store with Danny Davis (of Sun Ra "fame"), who I guess was a Philadelphia guy, and he always said the name "Trudy Pitts" like it was the punchline to a bad joke.

The whole Sun Ra crew have been located in the Germantown section of Philly for 50 years.

28 minutes ago, felser said:

Bingo.

Oh MANNNN.

That's one I've been thinking about revisiting a lot, and never pulled out. If I had only ... then I might have finally nailed one (and gotten extra credit for it being a Felser BFT).

Oh hell who I am I kidding. I could have heard it two days ago and wouldn't have placed it.  :blush: