BFT 201 - Link and Discussion

felser

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

(and gotten extra credit for it being a Felser BFT).

LOL!

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

No ideas who the solo pianist is on "Tempis Fugit"  but I like it quite a lot. It's got a nice brooding quality that's halfway between Tristano and Bud Powell. Very engaging to these ears.

Not a particularly well-known player, but someone I have seen live and have followed for decades.

On 12/1/2020 at 9:19 AM, Dan Gould said:

Only a couple? Boy you're going to feel bad after you listen to January's compilation.

:g

Oh did you select 13 you knew Felser would love? :g

1. Woody Shaw, possibly from Blackstone Legacy
2. Wes Montgomery, maybe early Verve?
3. Randy Weston or Roland Hanna
4. I think this is a drummer led band, and it sounds more like Max than Art Blakey.  Max Roach?
5. Sure sounds like Larry Young with Grant Green, or maybe Larry on Prestige.  
6. Leaning toward Gerald Wilson
7. Jackie McLean? 
8. Lee Morgan?
9. Billy Harper!!!  I'm guessing on Steeplechase with Francesca Tanksley on piano.  A whole lot of bass being played, but I haven't figured out who, and don't remember who was playing with him then.  It does make me think of Buster Williams. 
10. The trombone led intro made me think of Slide Hampton, but no bone solo forthcoming.  Thoughts then went to Clarke-Boland and Jones-Lewis big bands.  Mel's rep was that of a restrained and tasteful drummer, and the drums thunder here, so I'll guess Clarke-Boland big band.
11. It's hard not to think of Art Farmer when you hear a fluegelhorn played well.  The only other though I had was Emily Remler with John Swana, but I think this is the horn's date, so Art Farmer.
12. Sounds a lot like Santana, until the vocal comes in.  The original Why Cant We Live Together was by Timmy Thomas.  The percussive organ riffs at the end of the intro are straight out of Oye Como Va, but there's no guitar.  I believe this is the orginal top-40 hit by Timmy Thomas.
13. Maybe Lloyd McNeil?  Either voices or percussion that makes a voice like sound emerge from the background.

20 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Oh did you select 13 you knew Felser would love? :g  I do love it!

1. Woody Shaw, possibly from Blackstone Legacy  Not Shaw, but from the same era as Blackstone Legacy.
2. Wes Montgomery, maybe early Verve?  Not Wes, previously ID'd.
3. Randy Weston or Roland Hanna  Not nearly as well known as either of them, but a wonderful pianist.
4. I think this is a drummer led band, and it sounds more like Max than Art Blakey.  Max Roach?  Trumpeter's band, previously ID'd.
5. Sure sounds like Larry Young with Grant Green, or maybe Larry on Prestige.   Not Young, previously ID'd. 
6. Leaning toward Gerald Wilson  Not Wilson, previously ID'd.
7. Jackie McLean?  Not McLean.
8. Lee Morgan? Not Morgan, previously ID'd. 
9. Billy Harper!!!  I'm guessing on Steeplechase with Francesca Tanksley on piano.  A whole lot of bass being played, but I haven't figured out who, and don't remember who was playing with him then.  It does make me think of Buster Williams.  Not Harper or Williams, previously ID'd by Mr. Sangrey after a good bit of sleuthing!
10. The trombone led intro made me think of Slide Hampton, but no bone solo forthcoming.  Thoughts then went to Clarke-Boland and Jones-Lewis big bands.  Mel's rep was that of a restrained and tasteful drummer, and the drums thunder here, so I'll guess Clarke-Boland big band.  Not Clarke-Boland, previously ID'd. 
11. It's hard not to think of Art Farmer when you hear a fluegelhorn played well.  The only other though I had was Emily Remler with John Swana, but I think this is the horn's date, so Art Farmer.  Yes, Farmer.  Great album,  Previously ID'd.
12. Sounds a lot like Santana, until the vocal comes in.  The original Why Cant We Live Together was by Timmy Thomas.  The percussive organ riffs at the end of the intro are straight out of Oye Como Va, but there's no guitar.  I believe this is the orginal top-40 hit by Timmy Thomas.  Yes, this is the fabulous original.  Top 5 hit in the early 70's, but largely lost to time now.
13. Maybe Lloyd McNeil?  Either voices or percussion that makes a voice like sound emerge from the background.  Yes, McNeil,  Also previously ID'd by Mr. Sangrey after a good bit of sleuthing!  LOVE this cut!

19 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

Oh did you select 13 you knew Felser would love? :g

Well that remains to be seen but truth be told, I had one rule: WWFL?

What Would Felser Like?

of course, January will reveal whether my decision was to always choose in the negative or in the positive.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, JSngry said:

Ok, dammit, found it: https://www.discogs.com/Sangoma-Everett-Chico-Freeman-Mal-Waldron-Cecil-McBee-The-Courage-To-Listen-To-Your-Heart/release/9680455

Chico Freeman, there ya' go. David Murray syndrome, 8th note phrasing gets weird, and the tone is not consistent. When it's all good, it's all good. But it's not always all good.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:04 PM, felser said:

You got it.  I stumbled into this one in an online bargain bin.  I know nothing else about Sangoma Everett, who is in quite the company on this one.  You still need to get #13!  

Strong playing from McBee on this one. 

Got to this one on the big system last night.  Old fashioned hand-written notes I'm retyping.  Yes... I've got cabin fever.  I usually do okay on Felser's tests, but this one kicked my ass, hard.

Track 1 - 70s.  Song is reminiscent of Charles Tolliver's On The Nile.  Aggressive tenor.  No idea on the trombone (only vague guesses I will not share).  Getting a Randy Brecker vibe from the trumpet, but better.  Perhaps Jack Walrath?  No, I like this more.

Track 2 - Sounds like Kenny Burrell right off.  Grooves like a sonovabitch.  Not sure what's up with the mix, but clearly the guitarist's record.  It's got a CTI vibe, but in a good way.

Track 3 - I mean, that's gotta be Lennie, doesn't it?  Tempus Fugit.  Hmmm... thinking not Lennie, but who?

Track 4 - Johnny Come Lately.  Weird arrangement.  There's something very familiar about those VERY busy drums.  Could that be Han Bennink?  Something very Hal Galper about the piano.  Heavy Dizzy influence on the trumpet, but not Faddis.

Track 5 - Larry Young feel in 3 -- I'm all in.  Drumer out-Purdie's Purdie!  Not Larry.  Was thinking Pat Martino, but clearly this is the organist's date.

Track 6 - Mingusy arrangement.  But no.  Clean alto sound, but very west coast.  Shades of John Handy as it goes on, but seems less driven by the blues.  Hmmm... Arrangement is like Mingus-meets-Slide Hampton.

Track 7 - Back-to-back burners.  Very clean trumpet sound.  Something marchy about the drums.  Makes me wonder if this could be one of Kenny Clarke's things.

Track 8 - Soundtracky quality to the sound.  Love that vamp.  There are moments I think I know that trumpet, but I'm not sure I do.  Tenor has shades of many, from Gilmore to Rouse.  You're killin' me, Smalls!

Track 9 - Didn't love the bass intro, but VERY MUCH love the vamp.  What's going on with the sound, though?  Don't think I know the tenor.  Mal Waldron on piano, but what is he doing here?  Is this the record with David Friesen?  That would explain my reaction to the bass.  Not sure of the tenor, want to like it more than I do.  The effects kind of bug me.  Bass sounds MUCH better in the solo here -- getting more of a McBee vibe, and that's a very good thing!

Track 10 - Don't know who it is, but I smell espionage!!!  I want to say Rudolph Johnson on tenor.  Band has that Clark-Boland feel to it.  Yeah, I'm in on this one, too.

Track 11 - Has an Art Farmer feel, but I can't quite commit.  Nope, not Art.  I mean, it's in 3, so I've gotta have it.  Sounds like maybe Barney Kessell on guitar, something about that comping.  If it's Farmer and Jim Hall I'm going to scream.

Track 12 - No clue.  Reminds me of a tune I may put on my next BFT, though.

Track 13 - You've got me -- all in.  That's gotta be Lloyd McNeil (a guy I only discovered through the BFTs!).  It's Tzigane from this.

A lot to like here, and a BFT I know I'm going to come back to.  I don't think I've every done this poorly on one of your tests.  Well done, sir!

SONOVA!!!!!  

I psyched myself out.  I recognized KD, but it didn't fit right and I couldn't even bring myself to write his name down.  Too chicken to commit on Farmer and missing Chico.  UNACCEPTABLE!  And on the BIG system, too!  NO EXCUSES.  I suck eggs.

18 minutes ago, tkeith said:

Got to this one on the big system last night.  Old fashioned hand-written notes I'm retyping.  Yes... I've got cabin fever.  I usually do okay on Felser's tests, but this one kicked my ass, hard.

Track 1 - 70s.  Song is reminiscent of Charles Tolliver's On The Nile.  Aggressive tenor.  No idea on the trombone (only vague guesses I will not share).  Getting a Randy Brecker vibe from the trumpet, but better.  Perhaps Jack Walrath?  No, I like this more.  You were the only person I thought might get this one.  Will be interesting reveal.  Tenor player is a board favorite, and trumpeter recorded a couple albums on a beloved indie label.

Track 2 - Sounds like Kenny Burrell right off.  Grooves like a sonovabitch.  Not sure what's up with the mix, but clearly the guitarist's record.  It's got a CTI vibe, but in a good way.  Artist (Burrell) and album previously ID'd.

Track 3 - I mean, that's gotta be Lennie, doesn't it?  Tempus Fugit.  Hmmm... thinking not Lennie, but who?  Not Lennie, decades later.  This is a really good, really underrecognized pianist who has been around for 40+ years.

Track 4 - Johnny Come Lately.  Weird arrangement.  There's something very familiar about those VERY busy drums.  Could that be Han Bennink?  Something very Hal Galper about the piano.  Heavy Dizzy influence on the trumpet, but not Faddis.  Previously ID'd.  Much earlier than Faddis.  Pianist is actually even better known than Galper.

Track 5 - Larry Young feel in 3 -- I'm all in.  Drumer out-Purdie's Purdie!  Not Larry.  Was thinking Pat Martino, but clearly this is the organist's date.  Both the organist's date and Martino in guitar (as sideman).  Previously ID'd.

Track 6 - Mingusy arrangement.  But no.  Clean alto sound, but very west coast.  Shades of John Handy as it goes on, but seems less driven by the blues.  Hmmm... Arrangement is like Mingus-meets-Slide Hampton.   Alto player is actually even better known than Handy, and is a board favorite.  Previously ID'd.

Track 7 - Back-to-back burners.  Very clean trumpet sound.  Something marchy about the drums.  Makes me wonder if this could be one of Kenny Clarke's things.  Alto player's date.

Track 8 - Soundtracky quality to the sound.  Love that vamp.  There are moments I think I know that trumpet, but I'm not sure I do.  Tenor has shades of many, from Gilmore to Rouse.  You're killin' me, Smalls!   You already know about this track, LOL!.

Track 9 - Didn't love the bass intro, but VERY MUCH love the vamp.  What's going on with the sound, though?  Don't think I know the tenor.  Mal Waldron on piano, but what is he doing here?  Is this the record with David Friesen?  That would explain my reaction to the bass.  Not sure of the tenor, want to like it more than I do.  The effects kind of bug me.  Bass sounds MUCH better in the solo here -- getting more of a McBee vibe, and that's a very good thing!  Good reason to get the McBee vibe.  You also know about this track now.  Strange (but good) album.

Track 10 - Don't know who it is, but I smell espionage!!!  I want to say Rudolph Johnson on tenor.  Band has that Clark-Boland feel to it.  Yeah, I'm in on this one, too.  Previously ID'd.  Earlier than you are thinking.

Track 11 - Has an Art Farmer feel, but I can't quite commit.  Nope, not Art.  I mean, it's in 3, so I've gotta have it.  Sounds like maybe Barney Kessell on guitar, something about that comping.  If it's Farmer and Jim Hall I'm going to scream.   What's that scream I hear coming from the north?

Track 12 - No clue.  Reminds me of a tune I may put on my next BFT, though.  Outside the bounds of what is common or fair for a BFT.  Forgotten pop/r&b hit (top 5) of the early 70's which is very timely today.   As mentioned, put in to just express my mood.

Track 13 - You've got me -- all in.  That's gotta be Lloyd McNeil (a guy I only discovered through the BFTs!).  It's Tzigane from this I LOVE THIS CUT!!!

A lot to like here, and a BFT I know I'm going to come back to.  I don't think I've every done this poorly on one of your tests.  Well done, sir!  Thanks, just hoping to enable yo and others to have some fun and discover some new sounds.  I seem to have accomplished that goal :)

SONOVA!!!!!  

I psyched myself out.  I recognized KD, but it didn't fit right and I couldn't even bring myself to write his name down.  Too chicken to commit on Farmer and missing Chico.  UNACCEPTABLE!  And on the BIG system, too!  NO EXCUSES.  I suck eggs.   I'm intrigued by the BIG system, must be nice!  

Gotta give kudos to Felser for getting engagement from his audience. His BFT has twice as many posts as my January BFT did and in only 7 days or so. Most BFT discussion threads have been getting about 30 posts this year. And there are still regular, in depth participants who haven't engaged with it yet.

OTOH I am confident he'll enjoy more of my tracks than I did of his, so ... Saul Goode.

# of posts might be deceptive. I try to do one summary post, but this one I was doing a lot of scattershot/free-association single posts as I went along, due to listening on the phone, using it as "radio" while working.

It's a good assemblage, though, definitely. And the presenter's engagement with every comment keeps a good "live" flow/feel to it all. I like that.

After sleuthing, I can say her name - Sumi Tonooka, a name I have long heard of but pretty much ignored for not even half a good reason. My loss, obviously.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

# of posts might be deceptive. I try to do one summary post, but this one I was doing a lot of scattershot/free-association single posts as I went along, due to listening on the phone, using it as "radio" while working.

It's a good assemblage, though, definitely. And the presenter's engagement with every comment keeps a good "live" flow/feel to it all. I like that.

After sleuthing, I can say her name - Sumi Tonooka, a name I have long heard of but pretty much ignored for not even half a good reason. My loss, obviously.

Understood on the # of posts not being totally accurate, but nonetheless, 2 years ago my BFT 177 only had 20 posts total, and 9 of those were mine, so it is very heartening to be at 75 on this one.  The new guys who have joined in have added some life, and the old timers have been active.  As far a Sumi Tonooka, she is qute excellent.  I saw her perform solo as an opener at one of the Leo Gadsen produced concerts at the Ethical Society ca, 1977 or so.  She was barely 20, but was already special.  Everything I've ever heard from her is worthwhile

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

a name I have long heard of but pretty much ignored for not even half a good reason. My loss, obviously.

This is the best part of the BFT experience for both presenters and listeners, being able to share with each other worthwhile music we may have missed.