BFT 201 - Link and Discussion

felser

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultimately, it's the number of people engaged that matter, not the number of posts. and to that end, yes, the (relative) newcomers are indeed refreshing and contributative!

I've long thought that the BFT was a great resource for both talking and listening. Glad to see it - the traffic - might be picking back up!

Now that the name is out there, I can release a bit of additional irony, from my BFT 33 in Feb 2006:

3. Sumi Tonooka - Seriously Speaking from Taking Time (Candid 1990) Sumi piano, Craig Handy tenor sax, Rufus Reid bass, Akira Tana drums. I like this more than many of you did. Sumi is a fine Philly pianist who I got to meet during my time at the college radio station, then a couple years later she played a magical set in a Philly bar on Race Street in duet with a singer who may have been Rachelle Ferrell. I remember reacting to Gary Thomas playing sax with Herbie Hancock much as Jsngry did to Craig Handy here, listening to him hold back more than play. I don't really feel that way about this track. Subsequent listening convinced me that there are lots of tracks that would showcase Sumi's playing better, but I like the Maiden Voyage influenced composition and the way Handy lets go in his solo. Google reveals that she's coming out with two albums soon, one with her own group and one co-led with Erica Lindsay.

and a 2004 post:

I've spent about a quarter century wondering if Rachelle Ferrell is the amazing singer I saw with Sumi Tonooka in a Philly bar in the early eighties. Any Philly oldtimers that might know for sure?

Edited by randyhersom

On 12/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, felser said:

Track 13 - You've got me -- all in.  That's gotta be Lloyd McNeil (a guy I only discovered through the BFTs!).  It's Tzigane from this I LOVE THIS CUT!!!

Actually woke up Saturday morning and transcribed it.  Just had to.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, felser said:

\
I psyched myself out.  I recognized KD, but it didn't fit right and I couldn't even bring myself to write his name down.  Too chicken to commit on Farmer and missing Chico.  UNACCEPTABLE!  And on the BIG system, too!  NO EXCUSES.  I suck eggs.   I'm intrigued by the BIG system, must be nice!  

Inherited, all of it.  Conrad-Johnson amp/pre that belonged to my late uncle.  A pair of Alison III speakers my Dad parted with.  The CD player is the only thing NOT inherited, purchased second hand -- a Tascam that will play the iPod, as well.

Shame on me for not bagging Criss.  I'll let myself off for missing Chico Freeman b/c of the terrible sound (damned engineers), but... Meh.  

No Criss on BFT 201.  Assume you are referring to cut #6 or #7?  Not Criss!

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Shame on me for not bagging Criss.  I'll let myself off for missing Chico Freeman b/c of the terrible sound (damned engineers), but... Meh.  

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Criss? On this one?

also - #7 is Joe Harriot from I think, Free Form. But maybe Southern Horizons. I was freaky lucky to find both of them in the cutout bins ca 1971-72. Can't tell you the song name here w/o getting stuff out and going theorugh the LPs, but, yeah, that's from Free Form. Released in America on Jazzland.

Funny how listening to both this and early Ornette as a new jazz listener,  the supposedly "radical" elements of the music just did not appear to me, I was like, not, that's not weird at all, I can follow that just as easy as I can follow anything. They're notes, they fit together, there's time, it moves on, what's so weird about THIS?

Then, the more you learn, maybe the m9ore you know, which is good, but the even more you learn, the more it's like, trust your instinct about that. It's not weird, you were right in the first place.

Ok, the piece is called "Abstract", right? just looked at the LP and the timing seems to match, more or less.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

also - #7 is Joe Harriot from I think, Free Form. But maybe Southern Horizons. I was freaky lucky to find both of them in the cutout bins ca 1971-72. Can't tell you the song name here w/o getting stuff out and going theorugh the LPs, but, yeah, that's from Free Form. Released in America on Jazzland.

Funny how listening to both this and early Ornette as a new jazz listener,  the supposedly "radical" elements of the music just did not appear to me, I was like, not, that's not weird at all, I can follow that just as easy as I can follow anything. They're notes, they fit together, there's time, it moves on, what's so weird about THIS?

Then, the more you learn, maybe the m9ore you know, which is good, but the even more you learn, the more it's like, trust your instinct about that. It's not weird, you were right in the first place.

Correct on the ID (will leave it open for someone to identify the cut and which album it is from).  I also agree with your thoughts.  I didn't hear Harriot's work here until the past 10-20 years, but the early Ornette albums never sounded all that "radical" to me when I encountered them in the early-mid 70's.  They just sounded like great music.  Maybe they would have struck me differently if I had heard them in real time 10-15 years earlier, but by 1970 anything radical about them had been fully absorbed.  I love the music from that late 50's-early 60's period by Coleman, Cecil Taylor, etc.  It was forward looking, but still accessible.

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Definitely "Abstract" from Free Form. At least in the Jazzland release, no idea what all has happened in the various releases over time and over continents.

Yes, correct.  Those Harriott albums from that period ("Southern Horizons", "Free Form", "Abstract") are a great listen.

Edited by felser

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Bill Barron..George Adams...Tyrone Washington...Odean Pope...:wacko:

No, no no, no!    See JSngry's clue " #1 is a fine Chicago band".  As far as widespread recognition, the tenor player is more on par with Washington than with the other, better known players you mention.  And yet he is by far the best known member of the group at this late date, though the group was co-led by the pianist and the trumpet player (BTW, forget the clue I gave earlier about the trumpet player - it was incorrect).  Tenor player is still active almost 50 years on, and has been a core member of one of the best trio's going.

Edited by felser

12 minutes ago, felser said:

No, no no, no!    See JSngry's clue " #1 is a fine Chicago band".  As far as widespread recognition, the tenor player is more on par with Washington than with the other, better known players you mention.  And yet he is by far the best known member of the group at this late date, though the group was co-led by the pianist and the trumpet player (BTW, forget the clue I gave earlier about the trumpet player - it was incorrect).  Tenor player is still active almost 50 years on, and has been a core member of one of the best trio's going.

Hmmm...Ari Brown???

I've already got 2 on my want list from him due to earlier BFTs.

And if it's not him, I'm guessing Roscoe Mitchell. And then I've got to go listen to this track again. 

Edited by Dub Modal

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

Hmmm...Ari Brown???

I've already got 2 on my want list from him due to earlier BFTs.

Yes, Ari Brown, time to figure out the rest now.  And glad to hear he's on your want list!  His work with the Ritual Trio is outstanding.