Eric Dolphy on Blue Note?

bertrand

So Out To Lunch was recorded 2/25/64. Then Eric went to Europe and died there.

So had he signed a long-term contract with Blue Note and sadly, the second album was not to be, or was it always intended as a one-off? Would a copy of the contract still exist? Was it not renewed due to a publishing dispute?

Bertrand. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, bertrand said:

So Out To Lunch was recorded 2/25/64. Then Eric went to Europe and died there.

So had he signed a long-term contract with Blue Note and sadly, the second album was not to be, or was it always intended as a one-off? Would a copy of the contract still exist? Was it not renewed due to a publishing dispute?

Bertrand. 

He died in June 1964 and my internet search says the album was not released until August 1964, so there would not have been time for anything concerning publishing or contract renewal, I don't think.

That's a good point regarding the release date, but it is still possible the contract was for one record only and not active when he died. They released the record any way, of course. It still does not tell us if he intended to continue recording for Blue Note or not. I think his European sojourn was open-ended, so he may have told Blue Note he could not commit to another recording soon. It would be nice to see the contract. 

3 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

He played on Andrew Hill's Point of Departure around the same time, to me that's some indication that they meant it to be an ongoing thing.  BN didn't usually do one offs.

I also think that the Point of Departure indicated that they wanted to go on recording Dolphy. they signed some important Avantgarde Artists that time. 

Yeah, they didn´t usually do one Offs. One exception was Charlie Rouse ´s "Bossa Nova Bacchanal", this was the only Album Charlie Rouse made under his own Name for BN, same Thing Art Taylor´s Album.....

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I also think that the Point of Departure indicated that they wanted to go on recording Dolphy. they signed some important Avantgarde Artists that time. 

Yeah, they didn´t usually do one Offs. One exception was Charlie Rouse ´s "Bossa Nova Bacchanal", this was the only Album Charlie Rouse made under his own Name for BN, same Thing Art Taylor´s Album.....

Sheila Jordan, Sonny Red, Duke Jordan, Dodo Greene, and there were others.

41 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

my Liberty copy of Out To Lunch notes that "Eric Dolphy performs by courtesy of FM Records" on the back slick. He was signed to Fred Miles and Conversations was the prior release. Iron Man (Douglas) and of course Last Date came out after Dolphy's departure.

Well there you go #bertrand, he wasn't ever signed to Blue Note. :)

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

7 hours ago, felser said:

Sheila Jordan, Sonny Red, Duke Jordan, Dodo Greene, and there were others.

John Coltrane was another one with his Blue Train.

BN wanted to record more Coltrane, but he signed with Prestige so they couldn't.  They made several attempts at another Charlie rouse album but they weren't up to Afred's standards.  This was often the case with those who had only one album issued, there was more than one session recorded but they either weren't up to snuff or the sales of the first issued were too disappointing.  Some of these subsequent attempts at a follow-up album have either been issued on their own or as bonus tracks - for instance 5 tracks from Sonny Red's Jan 23, 1960 session were added to the CD of Out of the Blue.  I don't think one-offs were often or ever part of the plan, but things happen.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But like you said about Charlie Rouse, not up to Alfred's standards.

Johnny Coles.

More likely the first one didn't sell or it just got lost in the shuffle (no pun intended).  I think Jackson's 2nd is every bit as good as the first, maybe better.  J. Coles - no idea what happened there.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Fred Jackson

2nd session where he recorded a full album's worth, added to the CD reissue of Hootin' & Tootin'

8 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Buckshot La Fonke or something like that.

Buckshot La Funke on Louis Smith's Here Comes...  BN1584 recorded for Transition in Feb 1958 a couple of months before Cannonball's Something Else.  Something Else comes in-between Adderly's affiliations with EmArcy and Riverside.  I have to think BN would've recorded him more if they could.

7 minutes ago, bertrand said:

There are a number of one-offs, each with its own story. Sometimes it was about sales, but not always.

This.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:59 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

BN wanted to record more Coltrane, but he signed with Prestige so they couldn't.  They made several attempts at another Charlie rouse album but they weren't up to Afred's standards.  This was often the case with those who had only one album issued, there was more than one session recorded but they either weren't up to snuff or the sales of the first issued were too disappointing.  Some of these subsequent attempts at a follow-up album have either been issued on their own or as bonus tracks - for instance 5 tracks from Sonny Red's Jan 23, 1960 session were added to the CD of Out of the Blue.  I don't think one-offs were often or ever part of the plan, but things happen.

I wonder about that. "Blue Trane" was recorded right in the middle of Trane's Prestige sessions.

gregmo