Mingus in Mono

mjzee

it looks like the upcoming Japanese reissues of the Candid Mingus titles will be in mono: 

UVJZ-20008.jpg?v=1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-20008

Google Translate: Mingus [Limited Edition] / Charles Mingus
[SOLID JAZZ GIANTS PREMIUM SALE 980 yen 1st candyd record 1st period] Charles, a rare bassist / composer who fascinated many talents from movie director John Cassavetes to singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell ・ Mingus. The long-awaited monaural master revives the big jazz picture scroll that he produced in the strongest period with the up-and-coming people such as Eric Dolphy and Paul Bley! Recording: 1961. The latest monaural remaster. Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period: December 9, 2020-end of February 2021

UVJZ-20007.jpg?v=1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-20007

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus +2 [Limited Edition] / Charles Mingus
[SOLID JAZZ GIANTS PREMIUM SALE 980 yen 1st candyd record 1st period] The strongest Charles Mingus left with the supreme members including Eric Dolphy. The power and passion of jazz swirls in every song, including the definitive version of "Fables of Faubus," which ridiculed discriminatory politicians. The world's first reprinted single edit 2 takes are additionally recorded. Recording: 1960. The latest monaural remaster. Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period: December 9, 2020-end of February 2021

UVJZ-20013.jpg?v=1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-20013

Newport Rebels [Limited Edition] / Jazz Artists Guild
[SOLID JAZZ GIANTS PREMIUM SALE 980 yen 1st stage Candido record 1st stage] A work that conveys the name of "Jazz Artist Guild", a momentary project born as an objection to the Newport Jazz Festival. Charles Mingus, Booker Little, Eric Dolphy and others compete for individuality. Although Ornette Coleman and Don Cherry appear on the jacket, they did not participate in the performance. Recording: 1961. The latest monaural remaster. Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period: December 9, 2020-end of February 2021

2 hours ago, romualdo said:

Is this whole Candid reissue series (there are a few others too) based on mono remasters?

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/release/music/jazz-fusion/month/

BTW, the Mosaic Mingus Candid set was created from the mono masters

Yes, it appears so-- "latest monaural master" is mentioned in all the descriptions.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Serious question - why is this a big deal? I don't recall the stereo being so fucked up that it made me thirsty for mono?

IIRC, in the booklet to the Mosaic Mingus Candid box, Cuscuna made a point of saying they used mono masters (on some, not all, titles) because they were far more sonically satisfying than the stereos, which had way too much left-right stereo separation.

These bonus tracks are not mentioned in Lord and were not in the Mosaic. But they seem to stick to the original LPs instead of completing the sessions :rolleyes: - two more tracks were recorded at that session that were in the Mosaic and on a later fourh Candid CD.  

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My copy of 'Mingus Presents Mingus' turned up this morning.

The bad news is that the two extra tracks are simply the edited versions that were issued on a Candid single. So nothing really new.

The good news for me is that the sound is better than anything else I remember hearing. (I haven't heard my Barnaby LP for over 30 years and I don't own the Mosaic set)

• 1 year later...