Mingus in Mono

mjzee

I find with cdjapan I can get about 7 or 8 discs shipped DSL for about 30 dollars, which boils down to a decent enough price per disc, and I can get the discs in about 4 days from Japan. A reason I keep going back to cdjapan and not buying Japanese discs elsewhere.

I'd like to get this new one when released as I find these new issues to sound better than the Mosaic.

• 2 weeks later...

Reincarnation of A Love Bird

And via Google Translate:

[Candid Records Fifth Term] Established in 1960 as the jazz division of the pop record company "Cadence," which includes Valley Brothers, Andy Warhol, Don Shirley, etc., Nat Hentoff was appointed as a producer and director. The 5th 20 titles of the phantom label <CANDID>, which closed in a short period of only 2 years, will be released with the latest mastering! A campaign to commemorate the completion of the series will also be held! Has been released!! Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period.

• 2 weeks later...

I always preferred Mingus Ah Um in mono, because the bass is mixed off to one side in stereo, and the drums are very heavy handed in the center.  Who would record a group as large and raucous as that and not think to center the bass?  The mind boggles.

Anyway, for digital listening, I remixed the stereo album using Audacity's adjustable center feature.  I collapsed it to mono and brought down the center channel.  It is much better this way.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On 7.12.2020 at 4:39 AM, mjzee said:

it looks like the upcoming Japanese reissues of the Candid Mingus titles will be in mono: 

UVJZ-20008.jpg?v=1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-20008

Google Translate: Mingus [Limited Edition] / Charles Mingus
[SOLID JAZZ GIANTS PREMIUM SALE 980 yen 1st candyd record 1st period] Charles, a rare bassist / composer who fascinated many talents from movie director John Cassavetes to singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell ・ Mingus. The long-awaited monaural master revives the big jazz picture scroll that he produced in the strongest period with the up-and-coming people such as Eric Dolphy and Paul Bley! Recording: 1961. The latest monaural remaster. Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period: December 9, 2020-end of February 2021

UVJZ-20007.jpg?v=1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-20007

Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus +2 [Limited Edition] / Charles Mingus
[SOLID JAZZ GIANTS PREMIUM SALE 980 yen 1st candyd record 1st period] The strongest Charles Mingus left with the supreme members including Eric Dolphy. The power and passion of jazz swirls in every song, including the definitive version of "Fables of Faubus," which ridiculed discriminatory politicians. The world's first reprinted single edit 2 takes are additionally recorded. Recording: 1960. The latest monaural remaster. Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period: December 9, 2020-end of February 2021

UVJZ-20013.jpg?v=1

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UVJZ-20013

Newport Rebels [Limited Edition] / Jazz Artists Guild
[SOLID JAZZ GIANTS PREMIUM SALE 980 yen 1st stage Candido record 1st stage] A work that conveys the name of "Jazz Artist Guild", a momentary project born as an objection to the Newport Jazz Festival. Charles Mingus, Booker Little, Eric Dolphy and others compete for individuality. Although Ornette Coleman and Don Cherry appear on the jacket, they did not participate in the performance. Recording: 1961. The latest monaural remaster. Newly written Japanese commentary. Supervision and commentary: Kazunori Harada. * Manufacturer limited shipping period: December 9, 2020-end of February 2021

I have them all with the cover of the Newport Rebels, but to my surprise it also has the other two Candid Albums. That was a good choice by my wife for Chrismas. I didn´t have them. As for "Faubus". It´s okay but the really "Faubus" I loved from first hearing when I was a teenager was with Dolphy, Byard in Paris. I noticed I knew some tunes from other albums. I heard Hora Decubitus and imediatly I knew it is "A´s flat E´s flat Too" from Blues´n Roots. But very nice music. 

And my admiration for the veterans Eldrige and Papa Jones. They really fit in and Eldrige anyway was thousends of miles ahead of his time. And Joe Jones really plays much more modern than other drummers of his generation. An yes, it´s a pity there is no Ornette and Cherry recorded....