Bob Dylan sells entire song catalog to Universal Media Group

sonnymax

This is a good analysis, courtesy of WSJ:

In selling his copyrights, Mr. Dylan creates more tax certainty and potential benefits for himself and his heirs. He likely will pay a one-time capital-gains tax of 23.8% in addition to state taxes, as opposed to paying 37% plus state tax on the annual income his catalog generates. Doing the sale now means he pays the capital-gains tax in accordance with today’s rates and rules rather than facing the potential higher rates and tighter restrictions that Democrats have proposed on both capital gains and ordinary income. For his estate, he can plan tax strategies on his remaining assets without his heirs and the government engaging in a lengthy fight over the value of the copyrighted assets after his death.

And, of course, "he was never known to make a foolish move."

REVIEW: Bob Roberts – (I'm) Not a Fanboy

Be Good in School and Don't Do Crack: 10 Reasons You Should Watch Bob  Roberts this Weekend – Latin for Cat

On 12/7/2020 at 0:59 PM, jlhoots said:

I bought his new CD!!

It's a good one, I like it a lot.  My favorite since 'Time Out of Mind'.

21 hours ago, dicky said:

the music he has recorded and performed into his later years is the equal of, and in many ways surpasses, what his younger self created at his so called commercial peak.

YMMV.  I like the new album a lot, but give me 'Bringing It All Back Home', 'Highway 61 Revisited', 'Blonde on Blonde' and 'John Wesley Harding' anytime.   Or for that matter, 'New Morning', 'Planet Waves','Blood on the Tracks' and 'Desire', with a side helping of 'Infidels'.  'Time Out of Mind' is great, but sits on a chronological island.

I don't in the least begrudge him his money, nor do I begrudge him his smart handling of his assets.

I do, however, LOL at the people who still (foolishly, imo), cling to him as some kind of a "voice of a generation". He's no such thing and hasn't been for more than a few (and really, just a very few) years in the 1960s.  And when he was "that", he was far from the only one, and there were a good number of people from that generation who certainly heard other voices stronger than his, if in fact they heard him at all.

Past that, he's undeniably been an "interesting character" of at least as much undeniably inconsistent output.

That's what he is, nothing more - or less. I wish him well, and hope he keeps going for as long as he wants to go.