RogueArt Label

Rabshakeh

I've seen a couple of recommendations for releases on RogueArt on here recently.

I'd more or less missed the label in the past, probably because of its artwork (or lack of it) which makes me think of generically packaged out of copyright boxsets.

Does anyone have any recommendations or favourites on the label? I've scanned the discogs page (www.discogs.com/label/54856-Rogueart), and some of it looks pretty damn mouthwatering. 

It's a very good label in my experience. I'll think of some particular titles and post them  later but their recordings of Joelle Leander and Nicole Mitchell, together and separately are all winners. Lots of good Roscoe and one particular favourite is Sabir Mateen's solo disc.

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It's a very good label in my experience. I'll think of some particular titles and post them  later but their recordings of Joelle Leander and Nicole Mitchell, together and separately are all winners. Lots of good Roscoe and one particular favourite is Sabir Mateen's solo disc.

Thanks!

I have a lot of recordings from this label in my collection. Despite the lack of elaborate cover art, all the releases I have are high quality. Matthew Shipp has several recordings on the label that are worth hearing. His Ellington recording, To Duke was very strong to my ears. Also recommended was the recording with his trio + Nicole Mitchell, All Things Are. IN addition to Shipp I also have recordings by Nicole Mitchell, Rob Brown, Steve Swell, Jemeel Moondoc and others on the label that I enjoy. In fact, there are too many for me to list.  If you like the kind of music and artists on the label generally, you probably will not be disappointed with their releases on the label.

My favorites:

Tomeka Reid/Joe Morris - Combinations; one of my 2 or 3 favorite pure improv records from this year. Really tremendous.
Roscoe Mitchell - No Side Effects; my favorite of the RM titles on RA that I've heard; I find some of his other output for the label to be a little unremarkable
Joshua Abrams Quartet - Unknown Known; incredible session with David Boykins, Jason Adasiewicz, and Frank Rosaly. In the pocket at all times, just awesome.
Nicole Mitchell's Sonic Projections - Secret Escapades of Velvet Anderson; makes a fine pairing with the Abrams above, very spiritual
Jacques Coursil/Alan Silva - FreeJazzArt; a rare-ish chance to hear two masters at work in their advanced years, exceptional
Robert Dick/Tiffany Chang - Raise The River; wide-ranging flute & percussion duets
Tarbaby + Oliver Lake & Marc Ducret - Fanon; passionate and fascinating
Jeff Albert Instigation Quartet - The Tree On The Mound; fun out quartet date elevated by the great Kidd Jordan, who you often don't get to hear with another horn
The Turbine + Cappozzo/Garcin/Wm Parker - Entropy/Enthalpy; 2 bass/2 drums group (thankfully imo) expanded 
any of the Tiger Trio dates, if you enjoy any of the players (which I do quite a bit, esp. Myra Melford)

Also hard to go wrong with any of the Steve Swell, Rob Brown, Jemeel Moondoc, or Matthew Shipp dates. There are still plenty others I need to hear as well.

OK, just checked and I have 17 titles on the label, less than I thought. 

Top five fwiw:
Sabir Mateen - Urdla XXX
Indigo Trio - The Ethiopean Princess meets the tantric priest. Because you get Michel Edelin and Nicole Mitchell on one disc
Joshua Abrams -  Unknown known
Nicole Mitchell - Engraved In The Wind
Joelle Leandre - Sisters Where

Also, the LP release by Rob Mazurek & Jeff Parker

Edited by mjazzg

• 6 months later...