"New" Brubeck

Dave James

Thanks for posting that.  The comments are worth reading, like this one from Giacomo Gates:

Time Out was the first LP I purchased, at the age of 10 years old, 1960. I was already taking guitar lessons...altho my ears weren't ready for all the different time signatures. Fast forward to 1992, I write lyrics to Paul Desmond's solo, in the tradition of vocalese, and mail them to Dave Brubeck. To my surprise and excitement, I receive a letter back from him, saying that he liked my lyrics, suggesting that I reach out to Desmond's publishing company, and use his letter for recommendation. I thank him and do so. The publishing company likes the lyric and tells me to reach out to the attorney that handles that specific tune. I do so, and after several pfone calls, I reach him and am told that "Take Five was recorded vocally twice by Carmen McRae and Al Jarreau and I think that's enough." My first release on DMP Records, 'Blue Skies' was produced by Helen Keane, in 1995. We spoke about the selections that would be on the recording, one of them was "Take Five," of which I wrote lyrics to Paul Desmond's solo. I told her the situation with the attorney, and she told me she would call and speak with him. She got the same response..."It was recorded twice vocally, once by Carmen McRae and Al Jarreau, and I think that's enough." Her response, "But this is a lyric to Desmond's solo, this is a tribute to your client." He says, "I don't know if I like the lyric." She responds, "What do you know about lyrics, you're an attorney." He hung up.

Edited by mjzee

• 1 month later...

Artist Title Time    

Dave Brubeck Quartet Blue Rondo a la Turk
(Previously Unreleased)
08:54    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet Strange Meadowlark
(Previously Unreleased)
07:12    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet Take Five
(Previously Unreleased)
05:49    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet Three To Get Ready
(Previously Unreleased)
04:58    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet Cathy's Waltz
(Previously Unreleased)
04:39    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet I'm in A Dancing Mood
(Previously Unreleased)
03:15    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet Watusi Jam
(Previously Unreleased)
04:33    
  Dave Brubeck Quartet Band Banter from the 1959
Recording Sessions
04:36    

Time OutTakes:  

It features 7 never-before-heard tracks from the original 1959  
Time Out recording sessions and includes 2 tunes that weren't on the original recording. These newly discovered recordings feature performances every bit as compelling as those on the  original and historic Time Out. I'm sure you will find these 7 new exciting tracks (and bonus track)  are fascinating finds.” ~ Chris Brubeck 

~~ 

"The playing is as impeccable as expected.” ~ Joseph Neff, The Vinyl District 

~~ 

"An intimate glimpse into the creative processes of jazz.” ~ John McDonough, DownBeat 

~~ 

Critic’s Pick- New York Times

Thank you JazzWeek

#6 Most Added 

Top 20 Radio Markets

Bio, Liner Notes and More Information: DaveBrubeck.com 

On 13.1.2021 at 10:19 PM, gmonahan said:

I always regretted that when Columbia was issuing its big box sets like Brubeck's studio recordings, that it never got around to issuing a set of the live things it had. Would have made a nice set.

gregmo

But it would have been a lot more work for tape researchers etc. the label does not really want to pay for.

7 hours ago, bresna said:

But if the Brubeck family has gotten the masters, they could easily reissue these live dates now.

Although I was under the impression that there were a couple of Brubeck LPs that Brubeck himself refused to allow to be reissued.

"Jackpot." We had a thread on that one when Columbia (Sony) reissued it.

gregmo

• 2 weeks later...