Hasaan Ibn Ali – Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album

king ubu

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know, don't care. I got the tapes from Atlantic - they were going to sell the masters to me after I delivered agreements with the artists. Before that was finished, their Japanese affiliate decided to start a series of unissued sessions and my deal was cancelled.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• 3 months later...

This coming Tuesday, April 6th, at 7 p.m. EDT, the Philadelphia Jazz Legacy Project will present a Philly Jazz Talk, an online discussion with Odean Pope and two of the producers about Hasaan Ibn Ali and his long-lost but now about-to-be-released (April 23rd) Metaphysics. Here's the link for registering (which is free): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-legendary-hasaan-ibn-ali-philly-jazz-talk-tickets-148068975291. An edited version of the event will later be posted on the Philly Jazz Talk channel of YouTube.

There's a sterling review by Duck Baker in the April edition of the New York City Jazz Record.

http://www.nycjazzrecord.com/

Here's a brief excerpt:

"Rumor of a surviving tape copy persisted, however, and this unissued date assumed legendary status in its own right, the stuff jazz dreams have been made of, ever since the idea of a Buddy Bolden cylinder recording first circulated. Some of these dreams have materialized over the years, such as Dean Benedetti’s recordings of Charlie Parker or the session featuring Albert Ayler with Cecil Taylor. And it’s wonderful to have these, even when the historical value supersedes their musical worth, but it’s hard to remember a case where the reality of one of these dreamed-of lost sessions exceeded expectations.
Metaphysics will exceed expectations. It is even stronger in some ways than the trio record and helps us understand why people like Roach, Johnny Griffin and so many other musicians considered Ali a genius. The presence of Odean Pope is essential."

Great presentation. who else was there? I still don't understand something - the tape was in the Atlantic/Warner/Rhino vaults all along and was located in under two hours. So my questions:

1) Why was this reference acetate made at all? I always heard that Rahsaan Roland Kirk was trying to get it released. If so, then why would it be in the vaults of the very label that lost the original?

The vaults are the FIRST place I would have looked for the original, and the LAST place I would have looked for the safety copy.

2) What other reference acetates of lost Atlantic sessions are sitting in the vaults, just waiting to be located in under two hours?

Hasaan Ibn Ali: Lost Album Found, New Chapter Opened - JazzTimes

Edited by bertrand

7-minute story on Fresh Air today, apparently (found out about it after the fact, from the zoom)...

Newly Unearthed 1965 Album Represents Hasaan Ibn Ali's Posthumous Vindication

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/06/984703269/newly-unearthed-1965-album-represents-hasaan-ibn-alis-posthumous-vindication

Seems to include some clips from the album (from the transcript).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...