Hasaan Ibn Ali – Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album

king ubu

12 hours ago, LWayne said:

Any contacts at Omnivore Recordings that I can contact. Bought the LP, but the cardboard sleeve has a tear. The email form on the Omnivore Recordings website goes to an independent fulfillment center that is useless. No offer to provide a new jacket, just advice to return to the brick and mortar store where I purchased.

I had previous problems with cardboard gatefold covers with Resonance Records for a Record Store Day release, and they replaced it immediately..

Doubt the fulfillment center will contact Omnivore as they promised. It has been two weeks. No to take matters into my own hands.

Like the recording a lot. Just wish there was better quality control and that missing notion called customer service.

LWayne

Try contacting Cheryl Pawelski through Facebook maybe?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my copy yesterday.  I like it -- may not be a ground-breaking work, but still a welcome addition to Jazz.  Interestingly, I feel it's getting better every time I listen.

To my ears, the sound is not that awful.  I expected it much worse since I heard it is based on a copy of an acetate disc.  The bass sounds especially fat and warm.

Hasaan's piano playing reminds me of Elmo Hope, Herbie Nichols, Andrew Hill, and somehow Jaki Byard.  Compared with Joe Farrell when he played with Jaki, the young Odean Pope lacks some adventurous impulse.  But who can blame him?  I guess playing with Hasaan must be a tough job.  Hasaan is also fortunate that he could get very responsive rhythm section -- especially Art Davis, I think his bass work here is phenomenal.  Kalil Madi also shines.  This quartet is very tight as a unit.

And now, the compositions...I really love "Viceroy".  It's based on "Mean To Me", but Hasaan pours a lot of idiosyncrasy into it.  I'm glad that we now have 7 more of his tunes.

Edited by mhatta

Sound is fine. Odean sounds a bit harsh, but he was young and still working on his sound. The comparison to Andrew!!! is very apt.

So other than Elmo Hope, who was he listening to? I would say Hill definitely. I would speculate Herbie Nichols, but how would he have gotten the records, unless Max hooked him up...

While I do find the sound a little murky it is primarily the issue of cymbals being almost totally absent.  I assume it is due to the shaved off high frequencies from the acetate.  What’s interesting is that there are times when the piano sounds fine in the upper register.  The density of the music is not helped by the less than stellar mix.  I’ve only played it four times so far so I don’t know the music that well yet.  I am glad I went with my gut and bought the cd instead of the more expensive vinyl.  I didn’t have high hopes for this to be a great sounding recording and unfortunately I was right.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:30 AM, bertrand said:

Try contacting Cheryl Pawelski through Facebook maybe?

Contacted her through Facebook and was not enamored with response. Finally promised to replace the defective LP, when I just wanted a new gatefold, but I have yet to receive a replacement by mail. Will give benefit of the doubt, but hardly stellar customer service. Very wary of this label.

LWayne

• 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Oh my! Instaordered!

https://www.amazon.com/Retrospect-Retirement-Delay-Solo-Recordings/dp/B09FCCR6L8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Retrospect+In+Retirement+Of+Delay%3A+The+Solo+Recordings&qid=1633438939&sr=8-1

21 previously unissued solo tracks recorded between 1962-1965 . Produced for release by the team who brought you Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album . Packaging contains essays from Matthew Shipp, Alan Sukoenig, and Lewis Porter, plus previously unpublished photos. Pianist Hasaan Ibn Ali was a local Philadelphia legend who had an impact on John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner and many others. He took the larger jazz world by storm in 1965 when was released on Atlantic Records. The label was so impressed, they set Ibn Ali up to record his own album later that year, but it was never mixed or released. Thirteen years later, the tapes went up in flames in a New Jersey warehouse. While the sessions were thought lost forever, copies were believed to exist. And they did! Once located and the audio restored, the acclaimed 2021 release of Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album finally saw the light of day. But Ibn Ali's story has a side not documented on either of those releases. Alan Sukoenig and saxophonist David Shrier were students at the University Of Pennsylvania in 1962, when Shrier told Sukoenig about an incredible pianist he had just heard at a club. It wasn't long before the three became friends. Over the next four years, Shrier and Sukoenig captured their soon-to-be legend friend on tape, playing standards and a few originals. The best of these tapes are now collected on Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings. Produced by the team of Sukoenig, Lewis Porter, and GrammyR-winner Cheryl Pawelski, the 2-CD/Digital set also features restoration and mastering by GrammyR-winner Michael Graves, essays by Sukoenig, Porter and pianist Matthew Shipp, and previously unseen photos taken by Sukoenig. A 4-LP vinyl version is due in 2022. The 21 tracks on Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings now reveal the intimate side of the Hasaan Ibn Ali story with poetic, imaginative, even breathtaking masterpieces that the world didn't know existed. And for the first time, hear the unique magic of jazz legend Hasaan Ibn Ali playing standards!

DISC 1
1. Falling In Love With Love
2. Atlantic Ones (Originally known as “Blue Is)
3. Yesterdays
4. Cherokee
5. Body And Soul
6. Off Minor
7. Off My Back Jack
8. They Say It’s Wonderful
9. On Green Dolphin Street
10. How Deep Is The Ocean
11. Arabic Song

DISC 2
1. True Train (Part 1)
2. True Train (Part 2)
3. Lover
4. Sweet And Lovely
5. Mean To Me
6. After You’ve Gone
7. It Could Happen To You
8. Untitled Ballad
9. Extemporaneous Prose-Poem
10. Besame Mucho

910WGJj618L._SL1500_.jpg

10 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Omnivore has the CD listed at $27.98 and the digital download for $12.99: http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/retrospect-in-retirement-of-delay/

Amazon also has it for $27.98.    Importcds will likely be a good bit cheaper.  I'm on the fence at best about this one at the going price.  

15 hours ago, felser said:

Amazon also has it for $27.98.    Importcds will likely be a good bit cheaper.  I'm on the fence at best about this one at the going price.  

I'm only on the fence about the price, not the getting.  $20 or even $22 would be one thing, but $28 is another.  I'll probably bite the bullet and get it, regardless, but I may wait a month or two to see if it comes down any, or if I can somehow score a deal.

On 4/29/2021 at 6:47 PM, bertrand said:

Are the first couple of notes from the short version of Atlantic Ones (last track) missing? Probably part of the sloppy transfer job that missed an entire song.

Not a big deal, just curious. Glad they included it anyway.

is it possible that there is acetate damage where that song begins? Might have been irreparable. 

• 1 month later...

Only a third of the way into disc 1, and uh--feeling a little slack-jawed with wonder so far.  On first listen it's hitting me the way hearing Bud for the first time did back in the early 1990s.  And there's certainly Bud influence here, some Monk and Tatum and even Cecil at times, perhaps? all turning into the highly distinct kaleidoscope of Hasaan Ibn Ali. The most invigorated (and invigorating) take on standards I've heard in quite awhile.   

11 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Only a third of the way into disc 1, and uh--feeling a little slack-jawed with wonder so far.  On first listen it's hitting me the way hearing Bud for the first time did back in the early 1990s.  And there's certainly Bud influence here, some Monk and Tatum and even Cecil at times, perhaps? all turning into the highly distinct kaleidoscope of Hasaan Ibn Ali. The most invigorated (and invigorating) take on standards I've heard in quite awhile.   

This is indeed some amazing music, one of the most exciting releases I've heard in some time.   As far as influences, he also sometimes reminds me a bit of Herbie Nichols.  But Hasaan is certainly unique!