Labels Only Issuing CDRs

Ken Dryden

55 minutes ago, psu_13 said:

Real CDs encode the data as physical pits in the media, which will theoretically last a long time.

CDR and other recordable media encode the data using, among other things, colored dyes in the data layer. These dyes are light sensitive and will tend to fade over time, so you don't expect CDR media to last as long.

These days I copy most of my disks to my computer and then make multiple backups ... before I did this the only "real" CDs that I ever bought that failed were from the Mosaic Art Blakey set, which apparently had some kind of widespread manufacturing problem because I've even tried to buy second copies of that set ... and those disks were bad too.

Thanks. This is helpful. 

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

My issue has not been failing to notice that an on line purchase is a CDR, but the deliberate mislabeling by the seller, typically Amazon, that does not let me make an informed decision. I have absolutely no use for on demand CDRs, which are typically missing most of the information found on the original CD.

To each their own. CDRs I've purchased have all been with Amazon as the seller, and all notated as such. So I have no idea why some are notated but others aren't. They should fix that.

BTW if there's a CD Baby release someone has an interest in, if it's one Amazon is offering it's gonna be CDR. Not even sure now if CD Baby was also "on demand" in their fulfillment before they dropped sales to the public.

Edited by Dan Gould