Joe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, cliffpeterson said:

Just received email from New World Records with a link to additional information. Check this out:

https://www.newworldrecords.org/products/julius-hemphill-1938-1995-the-boye-multi-national-crusade-for-harmony-box-set

If you click on the "liner notes" box, you get the full liner notes and complete discographical information.  It looks exciting!

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Under current business conditions, not unreasonable considering the costs.

I agree. As I tell my wife, if these endeavors go unsupported, we will not see them in the future. Just because I got the William Parker set and two large orders of Japanese releases in the last 6 weeks I have to hold off for a little bit. This will be purchased though. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Under current business conditions, not unreasonable considering the costs.

1 hour ago, jcam_44 said:

I agree. As I tell my wife, if these endeavors go unsupported, we will not see them in the future. ... This will be purchased though. 

+1 on both (emphasis added). I just ordered directly from the label; would rather support them directly than wait in hopes of cheaper offerings.

48 minutes ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

For those contemplating the digital release, be aware when you buy downloads from New World you have to download each track individually tediously. 

Thanks for the warning. I may have purchased this but not if their downloads are presented as you say. Such a shame.

New World also has a Bandcamp page. I am waiting a couple of days to see if it will be available there so that I can have access to streaming and download, along with my purchase of the physical CDs. If it is not available there in a couple of days, I will order directly from New World.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 5:29 PM, JSngry said:

Thanks for that update. Order placed!

Ordered Thursday afternoon, arrived today (Monday afternoon) - via Media Mail!!!!! From Brooklyn to Plano via Media Mail in < 96 hours.

That's the damndest thing I've seen in ages. amazing!

58 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ordered Thursday afternoon, arrived today (Monday afternoon) - via Media Mail!!!!! From Brooklyn to Plano via Media Mail in < 96 hours.

That's the damndest thing I've seen in ages. amazing!

I was just going to post...

Ordered Thursday night, arrived Monday in upstate NY. Pleasant surprise.

And recently (less than a month ago) a 1-CD media mail package from Brooklyn took well over a week to arrive!

Edited by T.D.

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The Hemphil/Wadud duets disc is nothing short of badass wonderful.

Is Hemphill kinda fading from memory these days? Tragedy if so....

I just started discovering his work. His classic Dogon A.D. on vinyl is now on it's way for more than a month now from the US. The duets with Wadud were next in line. Already had my eye on them.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

The Hemphill/Wadud duets disc is nothing short of badass wonderful

Damn straight!  I love all of the Hemphill/Wadud duo recordings that I have and this one is unique - different compositions than usual played extremely well. 

I have listened to the first three discs so far.  Amazing!   No Hemphill fan can be without this.  

Yeah, I'm into Disc 3 right now, listening to each disc twice before moving on to the next, and concur in every regard.

Also, haven't tried to read thru it yet. but the accompanying documentation/annotation seems to be very high-level. Par for the course for New World, in my experience, those folks tend to not fuck around.

Disc 4 (Chamber Music) is very nice, especially the Ursula Oppens performance. Not sure if the Daedelus Quartet was the right choice to play the arrangements of Mingus tunes, but hey, you get a chance to get played by a group of that stature, you take it.

More invigorating music!

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Disc 4 (Chamber Music) is very nice, especially the Ursula Oppens performance. Not sure if the Daedelus Quartet was the right choice to play the arrangements of Mingus tunes, but hey, you get a chance to get played by a group of that stature, you take it.

More invigorating music!

I've listened to / enjoyed the whole box twice, agreed on disc 4 which was an eye-opener.

Oppens has also recorded Parchment on this Music & Arts release that I bought back in the mid-'90s:

R-10583974-1500414713-7309.jpeg.jpg

Now, this disc of the Solo with Text stuff....this is REALLY fucking me up...I thought that stuff like this only existed in my head...I know that sounds...whatever...but the voice(s) and the horn and the sound effects (when used)...wow. amazing to hear this, like this.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Now, this disc of the Solo with Text stuff....this is REALLY fucking me up...I thought that stuff like this only existed in my head...I know that sounds...whatever...but the voice(s) and the horn and the sound effects (when used)...wow. amazing to hear this, like this.

Yes!  Do you have Julius Hemphill's first album "The Collected Poem for Blind Lemon Jefferson?"  More of the same,

On 1/22/2021 at 1:07 PM, mjazzg said:

Thanks for the warning. I may have purchased this but not if their downloads are presented as you say. Such a shame.

FYI, if you contact New World when you order they can probably send you a link to download the entire set at once.