Julius Hemphill Box Set

Joe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just finished my first listen through the entire box. Great investment in some fabulous music. While going through the discs I also listened to Dogon A.D. and now I am moving onto the the CAM box to relisten to the Black Saint Recordings. Decided tonight I will read the chapter on Hemphill in Bill Shoemaker's Jazz in the 1970s. Going for a complete Hemphill immersion experience.

Kinda surprised to hear Jack Wilkins on here, but probably shouldn't be...that guy seemed to be open for anything...and in a quartet of Jerome Harris (on electric bass) and Michael Carvin no less. This group came to play!

As do they all, of course, but the Pleasant Surprise Factor continues to climb upward!

FYI, now on Bandcamp. https://newworldrecords.bandcamp.com/album/julius-hemphill-1938-1995-the-boy-multi-national-crusade-for-harmony. Tomorrow is Bandcamp Friday, meaning the platform is not taking their cut of sales. See https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/bandcamp-fridays-2021 for more info.

Edited by Joe

On 27/01/2021 at 7:47 PM, John L said:

Damn straight!  I love all of the Hemphill/Wadud duo recordings that I have and this one is unique - different compositions than usual played extremely well. 

What are the duo records? I know of Live In New York (1976). Are there others that I have missed?

On 29/01/2021 at 5:43 PM, John L said:

Yes!  Do you have Julius Hemphill's first album "The Collected Poem for Blind Lemon Jefferson?"  More of the same

Missed this one completely. I had thought his first was Dogon AD. I'm looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Thanks for talking me trough this music guys. This will ultimately get on my wishlist for sure. Though I’d probably have to explore some more Hemphill first I think. 

You could do far worse than the Black Saint/Soul Note box. The small group stuff is essential, and the saxophone sextet stuff is damn near epochal.

On 05/02/2021 at 9:56 PM, JSngry said:

You could do far worse than the Black Saint/Soul Note box. The small group stuff is essential, and the saxophone sextet stuff is damn near epochal.

Completely agree. Lots of listening to the BS/SN box lately as well as to Dogon A.D., in anticipation of the new box set which doesn't seem to be very available in Europe yet.

I was particularly taken on Side 1 (just got my set yesterday) by Hemphill on tenor. What a voice he had on the horn, so speech-like, not only in term of vocalization but also in the sense that one almost hears actual speech. Reminds me in this of one of my favorite younger players, Keefe Jackson. I'll have to ask Keefe if he knows Hemphill on tenor.

2 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I was particularly taken on Side 1 (just got my set yesterday) by Hemphill on tenor. What a voice he had on the horn, so speech-like, not only in term of vocalization but also in the sense that one almost hears actual speech. Reminds me in this of one of my favorite younger players, Keefe Jackson. I'll have to ask Keefe if he knows Hemphill on tenor.

Response from Keefe:

Apart from little bits here and there (ensemble passages in early WSQ, some parts of the Chile New York record) the only time (til now) that his tenor playing was on record was Flat-Out Jump Suite, where he doesn’t play alto at all. Maybe we should say ‘main example’ of his tenor playing. 

...and I didn’t have to look that up, if that tells you anything :)
You’re right about the words. I never spent much time transcribing his solos but listened over and over again to most of his records. 

On 2/11/2021 at 8:34 PM, Larry Kart said:

Listening to Flat-Out Jump Suite for the first time in years to open my ears to dig into the box set

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, cliffpeterson said:

FYI-The March issue of Point of Departure has a Bill Shoemaker article reviewing Hemphill's legacy, reprints Coda Magazine interviews with Hemphill and includes an interview of Marty Ehrlich, the curator of the box set in which he touches on that work.

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/Content.html

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to reading what will no doubt be a very in depth piece.