Stanley Cowell, R I P

Chuck Nessa

The guy was a truly great pianist, musician, spirit. In his own way, a visionary, albeit not a particularly aggressive one. Still, look at his entire discography and you can seel more than just pianojazz records, there's a real breadth there.

His loss is significant. Thoughts, prayers, and...sadness. RIP.

5 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Stanley showing some other big time pianists pointers at the Vanguard. Jason, Fred and Ethan soaking up every bit of it. All three are so immersed in the moment.

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a musical instrument, dancing, on stage, night and indoor

Great picture!

Very sad when I heard this. I never saw him, and he rarely came to the West Coast unfortunately.

I foolishly missed a gig Stanley Cowell played with his daughter in Toledo years ago, but I finally caught him in Detroit in 2016 with an all-star band (Charles Tolliver, Billy Harper, Jay Anderson and Carl Allen).  Although I'd hoped that his retirement from teaching would mean that I'd have more opportunities to see him, I'm grateful to have seen him that one time.

Thank you for the music, Mr. Cowell, and rest in peace.