Selling on Discogs...do you do it? Is it worth the time?

Dmitry

I've accumulated a lot of cds I will want to sell, and will have a lot of vinyl as well. Once I go through it all, it'll be a couple of hundred units, possibly more. Is it worth it to sell on Discogs, or sell as a couple of big lots on eBay, and be done with it? I'm not pressed for time; however, seeing the boxes gone will be a very positive stimulus...to buy more "select and important titles".

Do you guys sell on Discogs, and how has the experience have been?

I sold on discogs for a while and was ok until they forced sellers to adopt a buy it now policy. I spent several time in order to fulfill this requirement but the interface is badly designed so I quitted. Anyway lots of sellers did it so maybe I am not smart enough though there were lots of complaints about the mandatory shipping policy, so I wasn’t alone. 

I’ve got about 80 titles for sale. I think I sell 1 cd/lp per month. Not a lot of work to get it in the marketplace. Of course the packaging and shipping is a little more work so I don’t sell titles that are worth less than 10 euros.

I don’t feel an urge to sell asap. When I sell something that’s nice and I buy something else in return.

1 hour ago, Pim said:

I’ve got about 80 titles for sale. I think I sell 1 cd/lp per month. Not a lot of work to get it in the marketplace. Of course the packaging and shipping is a little more work so I don’t sell titles that are worth less than 10 euros.

I don’t feel an urge to sell asap. When I sell something that’s nice and I buy something else in return.

What's your seller name, Pim?

Works fine for me, but I think it might be more active in Europe (unscientifically judging by my Wishlist - the stuff I want is predominantly offered by the European sellers). It is easy to list items for sale and set up shipping rates. You might want to factor the PayPal fees (nearly everybody would pay by PayPal - to my chagrin, since there are more economical ways to transfer money these days) and local taxes, if any (e.g. EU sellers have to pay local VAT on top of 8% Discogs fee) in your price.       

Edited by Д.Д.

Discogs has its limits, it is generally not worth one's time to sell cheap titles, but at least it is far less expensive than paying listing fees on ebay for items that don't sell within a given time frame. Discogs really fouled things up with their recent change on shipping policy requirements, it was working fine on a per piece or weight basis until they insisted that everything be made uniform. Usually I have 120 or fewer items avaiable there, but i have cut back on adding LPs, it is getting to be too much trouble. I added mandatory insurance for LPs after the USPS destroyed one that I sold and I don't feel like having to give full refunds for items plus the postage because someone threw a 60 lb. box of books onto a mailer in transit.

Edited by Ken Dryden
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

$3 cd and $5 LP. I usually reuse packaging from items I receive. Mostly the boxes for cds from dusty groove orders. I don’t sell a lot so I usually just keep 3 mailers and flip them inside out using the brown side as the outside. When I sold a lot on eBay 10+ years ago I used bubble mailers because the were cheap and easy to find. But I was actively flipping at that time and only cds, most NOS hip hop going overseas. 

Thanks, that helps. I also reused the LP mailers when I was actively buying and selling records 10-15 years ago.  

Reverting to the Discogs, I was just sniffing around their forum. Apparently there's an ongoing cliusterfuck situation brought on by their powers that be, in regards to payment modes and especially newly-released directives from above in regards to the shipping policies.

5 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Thanks, that helps. I also reused the LP mailers when I was actively buying and selling records 10-15 years ago.  

Reverting to the Discogs, I was just sniffing around their forum. Apparently there's an ongoing cliusterfuck situation brought on by their powers that be, in regards to payment modes and especially newly-released directives from above in regards to the shipping policies.

Yeah. I’m not quite sure what’s going on. I only ship in the US but something they did made it show I only ship outside. I also know they are pushing their payment system cutting out PayPal. I don’t sell enough to care, usually I just try to sell here. For example I’ve had an extra copy of Jemeel Moondoc’s - Revolt album for over two years I meant to list and just found reorganizing since moving a year ago. I need to be better about selling. 

29 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dont do it my guy its a whole bussiness just do i one shot deal at a physical store, thyre gonna give you somethin'.  you got like 200 real good jazz regular cds or something? i say just get it over with

Selling on a place like ebay (or, I assume discogs) becomes a part-time job.  So it comes down to whether you have the time, enjoy the process, need the money.  Dmitry, why not try just listing them here on Organissimo?  We're more fun to deal with than random ebay/discogs customers!

No it’s not a lot of work, especially not on Discogs where you only have to put in your catalogue  once. If you plan to sell lots of stuff you could also choose to ship once or twice a week. Make sure you notify your customers of this. 

the whole fuzz on Discogs was about the new policy that sellers were obliged to have an automatic shipping policy. I still don’t understand what people are complaining about. Added mine in 10 minutes and as a buyer I am very happy with as I can now see the total price immediately.