Lee Morgan - Complete Live at the Lighthouse

Mark13

9 hours ago, felser said:

And many session recordings with substandard sound quality.

That is why they should be in an archive and not commercialized. Ironically, they told the musicians that the recordings were 'for the archive'. What archive?

Edited by bertrand

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

I like the 3CD set (especially for Bennie Maupin) but this band wasn't anywhere near as good as the other two you mention.

That is true... maybe we do have the best of what's releasable already... When Resonance realeased Funk In France was when I started questioning the quality of what they release, Grant's playing is great but the clunkiness of Don Lamond and Billy Wilson doesn't sound prepared are facets.  I think a huge difference between Blue Note especially  then when Michael Cuscuna headed the reissue program and what's going on now, I believe Michael has some sort of musical background and could vouch for the validity of why certain stuff couldn't be released.  The fact both the Monk and Rollins releases are at the wrong pitch is troubling...  I'm studying music theory now and I'm sure the more I learn these kind of things will be glaring in time.  Just because something bears the name of a legend and will sell does it really need to be put out? Maybe a complete Lighthouse thing will be revelatory in some ways but I'm not sure.  Aside from Just Coolin  and the Mobley 63-70 Mosaic this year, and a few Don Patterson albums I haven't bought any hard bop, whether classic stuff or people playing in that style now doing new stuff, I have so much of that already.  I'm more reinvestigating my classical roots from when I was a kid or looking for prog rock or electronic music these days.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Probably .... I don't expect wonders each and every time a new archival release is up, but would appreciate less "over the top" marketing ....

Me too.  I knew going in that Monk album while excellent was not going to change my life, because a) like everyone here I have so much Monk already and b) they do so much of what they do well on Palo Alto on other releases.  If I want that thing, I am going to put on The Complete Live At the It Club or Monk In Tokyo, just my preference. Yet say something like Dexter Gordon's Complete Prestige Recordings the other hard bop thing I got this year for an incredible price was a completely satisfying experience despite the redundancy of the alternates.

15 minutes ago, CJ Shearn said:

Me too.  I knew going in that Monk album while excellent was not going to change my life, because a) like everyone here I have so much Monk already and b) they do so much of what they do well on Palo Alto on other releases.  If I want that thing, I am going to put on The Complete Live At the It Club or Monk In Tokyo, just my preference. Yet say something like Dexter Gordon's Complete Prestige Recordings the other hard bop thing I got this year for an incredible price was a completely satisfying experience despite the redundancy of the alternates.

I believe there is still much (released) music to be explored .... even in our own collections :D ....

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

I believe there is still much (released) music to be explored .... even in our own collections :D ....

Ain't that the truth (talking to myself, at least).  Big box sets especially -- a few of which I can't remember having spun much from in 5 years or more -- some 10 years even.

7 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Ain't that the truth (talking to myself, at least).  Big box sets especially -- a few of which I can't remember having spun much from in 5 years or more -- some 10 years even.

I've started re-playing my stuff - without any special reason -some two years ago and since then spinning special favorites recurringly .... spent a fortune (or two) for buying music during the last 5 decades , therefore I'm mostly done with new music and mainly archival stuff (if done properly - the recent Barney Wilen comes to my mind) is part of my wish list ....

Edited by soulpope

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

I've started re-playing my stuff - without any special reason -some two years ago and since then spinning special favorites recurringly .... spent a fortune (or two) for buying music during the last 5 decades , therefore I'm mostly done with new music and mainly archival stuff (if done properly - the recent Barney Wilen comes to my mind) is part of my wish list ....

Same here, I bought very very few stuff in the last 5 years, I am pretty fine with my collection.

I'm filling in corners of the jazz collection as some opportunities arise, and doing some secondary exploring in cases where my purchase money goes to good causes presented by board members.   Cherry Red is putting out some very attractive rock reissue sets and I am buying a fair number of those to upgrade my collection.  I am overdue for a massive selloff but have not had bandwidth for the effort since our daughter and toddler grandson moved in (I am also still working full time plus).

And I am realizing I still barely have started collecting Bird, a big hole in my collection. I am not a huge fan of box sets, but it seems the best way to collect Bird on CD unless I just get some of those European PD sets, but those are mostly Master Takes. Same with Prez.

The completeness bug is also for me limited to a few artists who have been my favorites for many years. I will get any Lee Morgan I can, so this set is for me, but I certainly am not getting the multiple Resonance Bill Evans live dates. I have a few of his recordings, they are wonderful, but I never felt a need to get the various complete sets over the years.

There is an alternative approach to issuing these types of lo-fi historical recordings that does not seem to have been considered - issuing them as downloads only. There is only so much that can be done to make them sound better, so why not go this route? Of course, all the musicians and estates still need to be compensated per the Union rules, and that is not 'cheap' but at least there are savings in terms of packaging. This is the obvious solution for the Left Bank tapes, as well as for the 1971 Lee Morgan session alluded to above. The sound is too poor and distorted for a luxury release with 50-page booklet chock full of essays and photos, but I am sure hardcore Lee fans would be willing to pay a few bucks for a download to hear Billy and Lee take on Absolutions for 40 minutes.

Vinyl may have surpassed CDs, but not downloads (I think).

Bertrand.

PS: 

Here is one that should come out - the sound is good because it was recorded by VOA.

The Library of Congress has the Blakey Newport 1961 date with Wayne Shorter and Kenny Dorham (subbing for Lee) - their only known recorded meeting. There are only two tunes, although there may be a third (there's a story behind that which I hope to resolve when I can go back there).

It is only 20-30 minutes of music. So what do you add to it? The 1959 date with Morgan and Mobley (40 minutes). Yes, it has been out as a European boot and on Wolfgang, but so what? They could also add the two songs from the Methodist Church single as a bonus (8 minutes), although I am not sure if the Master Tape exists anymore, they may have to be dubbed from the 45. This would be a Blakey CD that would get attention, I think.

PS: Can't find the Methodist Church thing on YouTube anymore, and the website is down for the discography. It was 1959 but with Jerome Richardson on baritone in lieu of Mobley or Shorter.

Edited by bertrand

27 minutes ago, bertrand said:

They could also add the two songs from the Methodist Church single as a bonus (8 minutes), although I am not sure if the Master Tape exists anymore, they may have to be dubbed from the 45. This would be a Blakey CD that would get attention, I think.

PS: Can't find the Methodist Church thing on YouTube anymore, and the website is down for the discography. It was 1960 but with Jerome Richardson on baritone in lieu of Shorter.

There's a Methodist Church thing?  :excited:

Oh, that's the drunk driving thing right?

Here's another page with it

https://phillyjazz.us/tag/art-blakey/

Edited by Dan Gould

I came to the realization a few years ago that I had too much stuff.  I peaked at 7000 combined CDs and LPs and I've since got it down to 3500 and I'll probably part with another 500-1000. 

I have Lee's Live At The Lighthouse 3CD release and probably would've been tempted if Mosaic had done a vinyl reissue at some point but a 8CD/12LP release seems like something that I'd buy and listen to once.  But I'm a sucker so who knows?

I would buy and listen to an expanded version of Denny Zeitlin's Shining Hour: Live At The Trident which was hinted at as a future possibility for Mosaic in the Zeitlin Select liner notes.  I would also be in for the Joe Daley Newport box that International Phonograph Inc. was planning to do.  Goes without saying that Mosaic boxes of Bill Barron  on Savoy/Muse, Cal Tjader on Verve, and Yusef Lateef's Argo, Verve, Impulse! material would be instant purchases.  

Well, Merry Christmas to me. I was motivated to look for the 45 since those are full recordings of two tunes, sans VO, and I snagged what sounds like a very good condition copy, though without the nice cover seen here:

https://www.discogs.com/Benny-Golson-Art-Blakey-The-Jazz-Messengers-Crazy-Driving-Blues/release/6559247